Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024

Kogod MBA graduates shy away from government jobs

Fewer masters of business administration graduates of the Kogod School of Business are taking government jobs than in previous years.

In 2012, 7 percent of full-time MBA graduates accepted government positions, down from 12 percent in 2011, Lara Kline said, assistant dean of marketing and strategy in the Kogod Center for Career Development.

Students are still looking for jobs within the federal government, Arlene Hill said, director of the Kogod Center for Career Development.

“Looking ahead, it is still unknown if changes in the government hiring process or sequestration will have an impact on government hiring,” Hill said. “The current year outcomes will be our first indicator of the potential impact.”

For the class of 2012, 33 percent accepted jobs in consulting and 19 percent accepted jobs in financial services, the top industries for employment, according to the Bloomberg Businessweek profile of the Kogod full-time MBA program.

“In the past year, more students found opportunities and salaries in federal consulting a better fit and easier hiring process than government agency employment,” Hill said.

The top consulting employers of Kogod MBA graduates include Deloitte, International Business Machines, Booz Allen Hamilton, The World Bank and CSC Business Consulting, according Kogod LinkedIn page.

Kogod graduates have more trouble finding work than other MBA graduates in the United States. While the national average of finding work within three months is 82 percent, 79 percent of Kogod MBA graduates found work in that time frame.

In addition, full-time Kogod MBA graduates make on average $68,540, compared to the national average of $85,000, according to the Bloomberg Businessweek profile.