Friday, Sept. 20, 2024
PLACE BEYOND THE PINES

Movie Review: The Place Beyond the Pines

Grade: B+

Directed by Derek Cianfrance ("Blue Valentine"), "The Place Beyond The Pines" illustrates an emotionally gripping story involving new fathers Luke (Ryan Gosling, "Gangster Squad") and Avery (Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook") whose paths cross during an intense conflict between criminal and cop.

In an instant, both of their lives are altered, and the film follows both of their families years after the incident.

"The Place Beyond The Pines" goes far beyond the quintessential love story that most assume it will become between Luke and Romina (Eva Mendes, "Holy Motors"). Gosling's character fights to provide for his son and earn a respectful place in this family, regardless of the fact that nobody wants him there.

Cianfrance's film fixates on the importance of fatherhood, expanding on the relationship between fathers and sons. In the struggle of doing whatever it takes to provide for one's family, there will always be consequences. Every choice has an impact.

The setting of the film is supposed to be somewhere in New York during what is assumed to be the late 1980s up until the present. Every scene is shot so artistically that Cianfrance makes the filthiest alleyway look appealing in its own right. We want to be on the back of Gosling's motorcycle, arms wrapped tightly around his tattooed body as he rides down the strip between the woods. The most captivating scenes occur in the beginning and the end, the first and the last shots of the film.

The character development is also beautiful, as Cianfrance allots plenty of time to unravel their stories and subtly splits the film into three acts like a melodramatic play. However, the 90 minutes drag out a tad too long.

Additionally, some scenes were set up with so much intensity that were not matched by the actors as they verbally expressed themselves with little to no emotion behind their words. Everything about the actors' delivery came off as forced, even in the most minor of arguments.

In Cianfrance's attempt to expose the corruption within this society, he failed to accurately capture the sentiments involved.

Despite these stumbles, the profound message he ambitiously tried to make really hits home. No matter which side of the tracks we come from, everyone winds up lost as they struggle to find themselves in a place beyond the confines of their social class.

sgore@theeagleonline.com