Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024

RHA to hold special election after president-elect resigns

Residence Hall Association president-elect Alex McQuade resigned April 21 to accept a position as a resident assistant in Nebraska Hall, according to an RHA press release.

This resignation triggered a special election for his replacement that will be held between April 25 and 26.

The RHA constitution and RA contract state that a student cannot hold both positions, forcing McQuade to choose when an RA position opened up.

While RHA presidents have stepped down in the past, it has been after they were sworn in, according to outgoing President Fiona Erickson. Then, the vice president of administration and finance is sworn in as interim president and an RHA General Assembly votes on a new president.

The circumstances surrounding McQuade’s resignation were unique, Erickson said.

“Because we found out early on, before the swearing in, we were able to orchestrate an entirely new election by the residents, albeit on a crunched timeline,” Erickson said.

School of Public Affairs freshman and Hughes Hall Council President Reiter Boldt is running again after finishing second to McQuade with 33.5 percent of votes in the original election.

He will be competing against new candidates Lindsey Malcolm, a sophomore in SPA and the School of Communication, as well as Nicole Bubnoski, a freshman in SPA.

Bubnoski wants to substantially change the organization. She hopes to advocate for more connections with Housing and Dining, as well as more interaction with Student Government and Greek life.

Boldt ran initially on a five-point plan for residents that included a more advocacy, involvement and cooperation. This time, his campaign posters present a more basic message of partnering with other student organizations and giving back to students.

“I have a vision for changing the way RHA operates,” Boldt said in an email. “I hope that residents will join me.”

McQuade and Malcolm did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

dmitchell@theeagleonline.com