Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024

Students gather on campus to support Syria

Kay Spiritual Life Center’s steps were illuminated by the glow of candlelight as around two dozen students gathered on April 15 to mark the beginning of Syria Solidarity Week, sponsored by the University’s chapter of the United Nations Children’s Fund.

The vigil portion of the evening concluded with a procession from Kay to the Mary Graydon Center in memory of those lost to the Syrian conflict, a two-year-long civil war that has killed 70,000 people.

Military violence continues to oppress Syrian people, and such events are vitally important in raising awareness, AUNICEF President Fariha Alam said, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“There aren’t that many people that know about this issue in America,” Alam said. “It is not about just fundraising, but about raising knowledge on the issue.”

Alam is a transfer student, and this is her second year involved with AUNICEF. She has volunteered with UNICEF since 2008.

Candles were distributed and lit at the vigil while representatives of different faiths spoke.

Students who were not directly connected to the conflict, including Conor Jackman, a sophomore in the School of International Service who works for the Fair Trade Student Association, still saw importance in attending.

“I want to be a person who supports social justice,” Jackman said. “When you work in social justice you start supporting others because it’s hard to get support. It’s important to learn about issues, and when you learn, you’re able to outreach, and that’s what it’s all about.”