Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024
AU men\'s basketball Head Coach Mike Brennan (left) and Athletic Director Billy Walker.

In short time as AD, Walker begins to put stamp on program

At the press conference to introduce new men's basketball coach Mike Brennan, Director of Athletics and Recreation Billy Walker jokingly referred to himself as "the old guy."

Just 10 days into Walker's term, he was no longer the newest member of the AU athletics community.

"Pretty hectic," Walker said of the start to his time at AU in a phone conversation with The Eagle. "But it's good and I'm settling in."

In just over a month as athletic director, Walker has already signed two head coaches in Brennan and then extending the contract of women's lacrosse head coach Emma Wallace to go along with still becoming acquainted with his new job.

Walker also created the new AU Coaching Excellence award and gave it to Wallace.

Even though his time so far as athletic director has been busy, Walker says that he feels like has has been at AU for a long time. He credits his comfort level to his research prior to accepting his current position, to fully grasp the landscape of AU Athletics.

"I feel at home already," Walker said.

Walker's lack of time at AU did come to light at the end of the year sports banquet. The athletes there had all spent more time at AU than Walker had. Still, Walker found a way to connect to the student-athletes.

"My message to the seniors was to not forget the value that intercollegiate athletics plays in life and take those values forward to be successful in whatever they choose to do," Walker said, adding that he echoed similar ideas to the underclassmen.

Walker's next big project

The biggest task facing Walker is upgrading the facilities at Bender Arena, which began last summer with improvement to the athletic offices.

This summer, the locker rooms for both varsity teams as well as gym members will be renovated. Additionally, the training room will be expanded, according to Walker. Some minor work on the pool will also take place this summer.

The renovations will mean closure of spaces used by gym patrons, which Walker recognizes as an inconvenience. He said the summer was the best time to complete the project.

Walker said one of the long-term goals of the department will be to continue to find ways to increase funding for athletics.

"We will always look at areas of fundraising where we can supplement our budget and get that extra margin of excellence," Walker said.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com