Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

A guide to grocery shopping near AU

Buying groceries as an AU student isn’t a difficult task with Whole Foods and Safeway just a few steps away from the AU shuttle stop in Tenleytown. However, the dilemma is always which one to go to. Should you make the hike for Safeway? Or spend a little extra at Whole Foods for the added convenience? The Eagle will help you decide without the added tummy ache.

Whole Foods
This American supermarket chain prides itself on stocking organic and sustainable foods as well as many fresh conventional foods. The Whole Foods in Tenleytown has a full-service butcher, fish monger and bakery for all of your needs. Some of the best parts of this store are in its selection of specialty items, which includes many vegan and gluten-free items.

Another great aspect of the Tenleytown Whole Foods is its convenience: it’s right next to the AU shuttle and the Tenleytown Metro stops. AU students can even use their EagleBucks at this location, making it a bit easier on your wallet. But remember, there’s a reason that Whole Foods gets the nickname of “Whole Paycheck.” The convenience makes for some added costs to your groceries, even with conventional and non-organic items.

Safeway
This is your typical neighborhood grocery with a very large selection of items. You can get all of your regular groceries here, including brand-name cereals and snacks. The produce selection is also fairly varied with cheaper prices than Whole Food. Signing up for a Safeway Club Card will also allow you to get discounts on food and household items.

The biggest drawback of Safeway is its distance from the AU Shuttle stop. It’s a half-mile walk down the hill from the shuttle, so getting back might be a bit of a trek with additional groceries. However, you can shell out more than $10 to have the grocer deliver to you.