Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU field hockey team grinds out tough win

The AU field hockey team won their first home game 2-0 against James Madison University on Sept. 6 at Jacobs Field because of their ferocious defense.

The defenders worked hard at shutting down lanes for attack, locking down the JMU offense in the middle of the field with excellent defensive stops. The offensive firepower of JMU centered around midfielder Taylor West, who entered the game with 10 goals in her first two competitions of the season. Although she had three shots on goal, none truly posed a threat.

Communication was key to the strong defensive performance, according to head coach Steve Jennings.

“We did a great job of getting back, forcing play to the outside, having very low angle, low percentage shots,” Eagle goalie Ashley Dalisera, School of Public Affairs senior, said of the team’s defensive mentality.

The Eagles were very effective in this regard as many shots skidded by the side of the goal, never forcing Dalisera to make a save.

After moving the game to the wings, the Eagles were able to take advantage of their speedy midfielders by playing a quick, counterattack style of offense. College of Arts and Sciences senior Shelly Montgomery brought the ball up the side of the field, using the width of the endline to play the ball to CAS sophomore Isabel Terwindt, who finished off the goal.

The Eagles rode this wave of momentum throughout the first half and maintained their tenacious defensive performance.

Midway through the second half, the Eagles once again found themselves in scoring position, as SPA junior Carly Atchison ripped a pass to Montgomery, whose shot was saved by JMU keeper Lena Wimmert. However, Atchison gathered the rebound into the back of the net for the Eagles second goal of the day.

Down by two goals, JMU displayed a sense of urgency that showed up on the stat sheet as they compiled a total of 6 penalty corners. AU’s defense stood firm, even after Dalisera saved JMU’s penalty shot.

The Eagles will host Longwood on Sept. 8 before heading out to College Park to partake in the Terrapin Invitational.

Sports@theeagleonline.com