Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Eagles field hockey falls in double overtime

As the clock struck zero in AU field hockey’s matchup against No. 15 Wake Forest, the game was not yet over.

The Eagles (5-3-0,1-0-0) were awarded a last chance penalty corner, down one, with the game on the line. Junior Midfielder Rebecca Treharne inbounded the ball to Junior midfielder Carly Atchison, who set it perfectly for senior midfielder Shelly Montgomery who took a hard slap-shot that sailed over the Wake Forest (6-2-0,0-1-0) goalie’s head to send the game into extra period.

Ultimately the Eagles would lose 3-2 in the 87th minute of the game.

“We fought really hard, and Wake Forest is a great opponent,” Eagles head coach Steve Jennings said. “I think it was just down to the wire, we had chances to win in the overtime, and credit to their defense for stopping us.”

Montgomery scored two goals in this matchup, the first with an assist by freshman midfielder Victoria De Kepper and the second from junior midfielder Carly Atchison.

“I thought Shelly was a force, she started out in the forward line and rotated to the backfield,” Jennings said. “To have the performance she had with goal scoring and being able to make great play out of the back I thought she was one of the highlights for the day.”

The second goal tied the game right when the clock hit zero. AU also recorded a season high 10 penalty corners, two of which resulted in scores.

AU suffered several let downs throughout the game, including two near-goals that were overturned due to high-ball violations. The Eagles were also outshot by Wake Forest 17 to 12, forcing senior goaltender Ashley Dalisera to make eight saves.

In the end, Wake Forest was finally able to slip the game-winning goal, an unassisted break to the right corner by the Demon Deacons’ freshman midfielder Shannon Ebby, who barely bounced it past Dalisera.

“There were times when she had to make a really brilliant save or a brilliant tackle, but that’s part of the deal at this level, when you play great teams day in and day out you’re going to be called up to do your job,” Jennings said of his starting goalie.

The Eagles next three matchups will be crucial Patriot League games, with their first at Boston University on Sept. 28.

“I think we have a lot to be proud of today and we need to move forward and try to learn the lessons that are available to us from this match and take it into Patriot League play against Boston University next weekend on the road,” Jennings said.