Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Field hockey team overpowers Longwood

The AU field hockey team won their second straight game upon defeating Longview University 7-1 at Jacobs Field on Sept. 8.

Shelly Montgomery scored within the first eight minutes, an unassisted goal coming off a breakaway on the right side of the field into the corner. Longwood answered in the 27th minute with a goal, but AU headed into halftime with a late goal by Isabel Terwindt after Longwood’s goalkeeper made the initial save before Terwindt put the rebound in the net.

Alex McMackin scored a quick goal off a penalty corner just over four minutes into the second half, which would open up a torrent of goals by the Eagles.

Within 18 minutes of the start of the second half, AU scored 6 goals.

Natalie Konerth was able to score a goal by bouncing a shot over the goalie after it rebounded. Grace Parke received an assist from Victoria DeKepper off a cross that made it to the undefended side of Longwood’s goal.

Alex McMackin converted off of a penalty corner after Carly Atchinson put the ball into play. Atchinson then finished off the scoring torrent at the 52:15.

This balanced scoring attack was exactly what AU was going for, according to head coach Steve Jennings.

“We want to be a team that has balanced scoring so that it’s hard to shut down any one part of our game.”

The Eagles season continues Sept.14 when the Eagles partake in the Terrapin Invitational against Miami (Ohio).