Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

FreeFest rocks on through the rain

The annual Virgin Mobile FreeFest held in the Merriweather Post Pavilion drew artists and fans from all around for an enjoyable, jam-packed day on Sept. 21.

The festival attracted 50,000 fans who endured pouring rain and muddy walkways to participate in the free activities spanning across the grounds. While the day-long festival is primarily known for the musical artists it attracts, FreeFest provided other forms of entertainment as well, including seesaws, circus performers and a ferris wheel.

The Knocks, who were the first to perform at the main Pavilion Stage, started the day off with upbeat, dance-worthy music. Their infectious, energetic sound drew many observers into the general admission pit and had them dancing throughout the set.

MGMT entertained fans with some of their biggest hits such as “Electric Feel” and “Time to Pretend” and a few songs from their recently released self-titled album, including “Alien Days” and “Your Love is a Lie.” FreeFest was the duo’s first concert performance since their self-titled album dropped on Sept. 17.

Vampire Weekend closed out the night with hits like “A-Punk” and “Diane Young” as well as softer songs, including “Obvious Bicycle” and “Hannah Hunt.”

All in all, 20 artists across several genres performed on three stages during the festival. Other notable artists included Canadian singer-songwriter Dallas Green — better known under his alias “City and Colour” — Swedish duo Icona Pop and DJ Kaskade. Robin Thicke performed his summer smash “Blurred Lines” alongside older favorites such as “Lost Without U.” Co-headliner Pretty Lights ended the night on the West Stage.

In spite of the weather conditions, the fifth annual FreeFest made for 12 exciting hours. Not only was it fun, but, as the festival name notes, it was free fun for all.