Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Men’s, women’s cross country teams both record victories at Catholic Invitational

AU men’s and women’s cross country teams finished first out of the seven teams at the Catholic University Invitational on Sept. 9.

Eagle junior Nick Regan won his second straight race, setting the tone for the rest of the team’s performance as they swept the top four spots. Regan finished with a mark of 19:05:40, more than 20 seconds ahead of the second place finisher.

Regan took home a first place at the Mount St. Mary’s 5K Duals two weeks ago with a time of 15:30.79. So far Regan is building off a 2012 campaign in which he was named Second Team All Patriot-League.

Freshman Brendan Johnson finished second with a mark of 19:28:10. Both senior Matiss Batarags and sophomore Joshua Ellis finished third, crossing the finish line at the same time with identical marks of 19:29:80. Junior Tom Woermer and senior Constantine Matsakis rounded out the AU top 10 finishers, finishing seventh and eighth with marks of 19:43:80 and 19:49.30.

For the women’s team, freshman Julienne DeVita finished in second place with a mark of 23:12:50. Senior Julia Sullivan placed a close third with a mark of 23:19:90 and Freshman Corina Velazco finished fifth at 23:24:00, giving AU three of the top five finishers.

The men’s team finished with 17 points, giving them the overall team title with George Washington University placing second at 76 points. The women’s team also finished first over the Colonials with 31 points over GW’s 42 points.

The next meet for both teams will be Sept. 14 at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md.