Friday, Sept. 20, 2024
	AU Professor Doug Hecox (middle) poses for a picture with flight team Unicorn Hunters at the Redbull Flugtag on Sept. 21.

Redbull Flugtag debuts in DC

Washingtonians endured rain for D.C.’s first Redbull Flugtag, a competition of handmade aircrafts, last weekend on Sept. 21.

Redbull Flugtag is a worldwide annual event in which flight teams compete to build the best flying machine. Aircrafts are pushed off the edge of a 30-foot tall dock, and the vehicle that flies the farthest wins.

This year marked the competition’s first national event as five cities, including D.C., held the event on the same day.

Harvest Bureau and their tractor-inspired plane won D.C.’s first Red Bull Flugtag. The flight team, from New Holland, Pa. launched their aircraft 54 feet from the dock at the National Harbor before it splashed down in the Potomac.

A total of 29 teams competed in the local Flugtag, with six hailing from D.C. One of the District teams, Team Rockin’ Lincoln, built an aircraft in the shape of the Lincoln Memorial.

One crew member said that the design combined “the father of rock n’ roll and the father of our country.” The Elvis-Lincoln hybrid was made from PVC pipe, chicken wire, and plenty of glitter.

The Unicorn Hunters, from Falls Church, Va., also competed in Saturday’s event. They built a “unicorn decoy” plane, claiming the unicorn’s magic would keep them in the air.

“Unicorns can fly, but they can’t swim,” said pilot Derek Anderson.

Spectators chose Team Made in ‘Murica from McGaheysville, Va. as the fan favorite. Although ‘Murica’s plane did not fly far, the eagle-shaped aircraft and the team’s dance routine before the launch won the viewers’ votes.