Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

The Rewind: New Girl, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad – Ep. 5. 15 “Granite State”
With just one episode left in the run, creator Vince Gilligan and his crack team of writers tightened the noose on the show’s characters yet again. Jesse Pinkman witnesses the death of his beloved Andrea as Walter White fails one last attempt to re-forge a connection with his beleaguered son Flynn. Skyler White finds herself mired in a D.E.A. investigation while Marie Schrader copes with the loss of her husband Hank, who died at the hands of neo-Nazis in last week’s instant classic “Ozymandias.” Even the chipper Saul Goodman can’t abide the White family poison anymore.

After last week’s 64-minute heart attack, “Granite State” pulled back on the immediate tension and anxiety for a more contemplative approach to the series’ endgame. The scenes in Walter’s minimalist cabin evoked a remote indie film rather than the taut suspense thrillers of recent weeks, and some of the most devastating moments of the episode occurred in silence.

Nonetheless, Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn and Aaron Paul once again justified their dominance over nearly every other actor on television with convincing moments of hysteria intermingled with a quiet, thoughtful appreciation of their miserable surroundings. Jesse Plemons veered far away from sweet, gentle Landry of “Friday Night Lights” with his most viscerally creepy performance thus far. Even RJ Mitte, confined to the breakfast table for much of the show’s run, got another opportunity to rage against the father figure who distinguished any hope for optimism or idealism.

At the end of the episode, the show’s theme song makes a cameo on the soundtrack for the first time, just as Walter White decides at the last minute not to turn himself into the D.E.A. once and for all. His pride is too great, his ego too swollen. He’s out for revenge. Based on the trajectory of the show so far, revenge comes with consequences. We’ll see those in next week’s series finale, which will signal the end of a truly brilliant era in television history. – Mark Lieberman

New Girl – Ep. 3.1 “All In”
The season 3 premiere of “New Girl” picks up where season 2 left off—with Nick and Jess committing to being a couple, then driving away into the night together.

Entitled “All In,” the episode focuses on how Nick and Jess react to their fear that the real world will be bleak and terrible for in regards to their relationship. To avoid returning home, the couple decides that they are “all in” for each other and cross the border into Mexico.

While Nick and Jess decide that they are “all in” for their relationship, Schmidt is troubled because he can’t be “all in” for just one girl. Following Cece’s wedding, Schmidt is forced to choose between Cece and Elizabeth, two women whom he loves, yet whose personalities are very distinct.

The only character who does not face any personal conflicts is Winston. Acting as a useful tool for Schmidt’s schemes, Winston fades into the background. His quirks may keep TV watchers entertained for a short time—he does construct a children’s puzzle while naked after all—but there is still a glaring plot absence for him.

The episode reaches a hilarious, yet touching climax when the gang gathers in Mexico to save Nick from a “Mexican prison.” Schmidt is determined to bring Nick back home, but Nick worries that returning will mean the end of his relationship with Jess. However, Jess breaks up their argument by suggesting their group of friends is an inseparable family, thus extending the title and the episode’s theme to the apartment crew as a whole.

“New Girl” brings several laugh-out-loud moments and presents more questions to explore as the season continues. Will Nick and Jess survive as a couple? Will Schmidt finally choose who he loves more? Will Winston ever hold a TV watcher’s attention for more than a minute?

From the get-go, season 3 of “New Girl” is full of promise to provide a year of boundless laughter. – Kara Avanceña

Brooklyn Nine Nine – Ep. 1.1 “Pilot”
Fans of Andy Samberg’s work will be happy to find that his zany persona will still be on TV for the world to see.

The pilot episode of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” features Samberg as Detective Jacob Peralta, an affable but irreverent member of Brooklyn’s police force. At crime scenes and in their office, Peralta constantly plays the “class clown,” drawing the admiration of some characters and the exasperation of others.

Detective Amy Santiago, played by Melissa Fumero, is one character who is easily annoyed by Peralta’s antics. Santiago aspires to be the captain of her own squad one day. She prioritizes finding a mentor that can help her reach her goal.

Peralta’s numerous high jinks are reeled in by the arrival of a new captain to their force. Captain Ray Holt, played by Andre Braugher, challenges Peralta’s easygoing style.
Holt is a no-nonsense supervisor. He was a successful detective as a young man, and has worked tirelessly to become the captain of the force. Holt endeavors to make their squad the best in Brooklyn.

While many of the gags seemed clichéd, the show reaches a touching moment towards the end of show. When Peralta, Santiago and Holt are seated in a squad car, Holt reveals something about himself that catches Peralta, and TV watchers, off-guard. This fact could an interesting element to the season and provide more opportunities for Holt’s character development.

The show has many other intriguing characters and subplots to explore over the coming season. However, the success of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is contingent on the show’s ability to get more than occasional giggles out of its audiences. Samberg and the rest of the cast are charming and quirky, but it will take more than some odd characters to get this series to stand out in this year’s fall TV lineup. – Kara Avanceña