Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Women’s soccer remains undefeated in Patriot League

The AU women’s soccer team won its second conference match of the season Sept. 28 by beating Holy Cross 1-0 to keep them undefeated in the Patriot League, one of three teams who have yet to drop a conference game

AU (4-7-0, 2-0-0, PL) got on the board early in the first half. Following 15 minutes of play, junior forward Erin Mulhern earned an assist by passing the ball to her fellow junior forward Lindsay Muri. Muri was 15 feet away when her shot entered the right side of the Crusaders’ (1-6-3, 1-1-0, PL) net. Muri’s goal put the Eagles on top of the Crusaders for the rest of the match.

Muri’s goal was her fourth goal of the season giving her the team lead in goals this season. Muri also was tied for the third most goals in the Patriot League entering Saturday.

Junior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger allowed AU to sustain its lead for the rest of the match. Belanger notched five saves against Holy Cross, improving her save percentage to. 854 and a 0.95 goals against average on the year.

AU had seven shot attempts against the Crusaders’ 19 shots, but the Crusaders failed to score. AU notched 13 fouls in the match, with 11 of them occurring during the first half.

The Eagles will continue their conference play when they return home to Reeves Field this week. AU will play a midweek match against the United States Naval Academy on Oct 2 followed by a Saturday match against the Bucknell University Bison.