Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU volleyball tied for first place in Patriot League

The AU volleyball team started their four-game road trip with two big wins against Colgate University and Lehigh University. Beating Colgate and Lehigh placed AU in a tie for the top seed of the Patriot League standings along with the United States Military Academy.

In a comeback, AU (20-2, 6-1 PL) handed Colgate (12-6, 5-1 PL) its first loss against a conference team this season. Playing in front of a loud and rowdy crowd in Hamilton, NY, the Eagles were able to overcome their large deficit for the win.

The win came after the Eagles initially dropped two sets against the Raiders. The Eagles seemed to be off their game, especially during the second set, which they lost 25-10.

However, the Eagles came fighting back during the third set. Despite initially falling behind 4-1, AU battled back to gain a 7-5 advantage, its biggest lead of the night. After a 14-14 tie, AU maintained a one-to-three point lead for the rest of the match, eventually winning the third set 25-22.

The fourth set was equally hard fought. When AU seemed to be gaining momentum and building a lead, Colgate called a timeout and was able to tie the game. When the game was tied at 23-23, consecutive kills by junior middle blocker Kelly McCaddin allowed AU to win the set 25-23 and force a fifth set.

AU dominated its last match against Colgate. At one point, the Eagles led by seven points, following a block from McCaddin. In spite of the Raiders’ efforts, the Eagles won the fifth set 15-7.

Similarly, AU also dropped its first set when playing Lehigh (13-6, 5-3, PL) in Bethlehem, Pa. on Oct. 12. Despite being within one point late in the match following a service ace by sophomore outside hitter Allison Cappellino, the Eagles lost the next three rallies, falling to the Mountain Hawks 25-21.

The Eagles were able to battle back against the Mountain Hawks in the following two sets. Although the Eagles did not earn their first lead of the second set until the score was 23-22, a kill from junior outside hitter Kristyna Lindvoska earned the Eagles their first set of the night.

The Eagles earned a 3-0 lead early in the third set and maintained their advantage for the rest of the match, ultimately winning 25-22.

The Eagles handily won the fourth set to beat the Mountain Hawks. The Eagles jumped to a 12-3 lead in the match. They secured the win on a kill by senior middle blocker Morgan Hendrix for the 25-12 win.

Three AU players posted double doubles over the two matches. Lindovska notched 15 kills and 12 digs against Colgate. Senior outside hitter Juliana Crum posted 11 kills and 11 digs against Lehigh. Junior setter Monika Smidova earned double doubles on both nights with double digit assists and digs.

The Eagles will play the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. on Oct. 18.