Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

High-powered offense leads women’s soccer to victory

The AU Women’s Soccer extended their conference winning streak to three after defeating the Bucknell Bison , 3-0 on Oct. 5.

The Eagles won through a balanced offensive scoring attack that was lead by their right and left midfielders and the contributions of substitutions off the bench.

“[They’re] really helpful because you know the level doesn’t drop… and the players coming off the bench are just as good as the starters… and we are able to keep high energy against the teams that are more tired,” head coach Anabel Jimenez Hering said.

Early in the match AU and Bucknell tested one another, with the Eagles (5-7-0, 3-0-0 PL) actively probing the Bison defense and looking for a goal, while Bucknell (5-7-0, 2-2-0 PL)sought to strike a goal on the counter-attack.

At the 26:08 mark of the game, the Eagles struck first with a contribution from substitute sophomore midfielder Kelly Donovan, who connected with freshman midfielder Sara Perlman in a give-and-go. This enabled Pearlman to gain the assist on a goal that was struck home by Junior forward Lindsay Muri immediately in front of Bucknell’s goal.

After halftime, the Eagles made adjustments and concentrated their attack down the flanks with Muri, their leading goal scorer on the season with five goals, and senior midfielder Mackenzie Kerrigan.

The playmaking ability of the Eagles lead to a corner kick in the 13th minute of the half, which was taken by Perlman and converted into a goal by senior midfielder Shaena Alfonsi. Like their previous goal, this was created by incorporating give and go’s on the wings to exploit the Bison defense.

“Our defense played really well under pressure. We actually worked really hard on it in practice,” Hering said.

The Eagles will continue Patriot League plays as they take on Navy on Oct. 8 at Reeves Field. The game was originally scheduled for Oct. 2, but due to government shutdown it was canceled and rescheduled.