Monday, Sept. 9, 2024
Carol Buckins 29th Birthday

Movie Review: Muscle Shoals

Featured at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, “Muscle Shoals” documents a small town in Alabama that influenced music in America and the world. Here, a unique sound was crafted that has never been heard anywhere else.

Located on the outer banks of the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals used to be a place that was overlooked by most. The film primarily focuses on Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios.

Despite the tragedies that surrounded him, Hall was able to rise above his financial situation and create a prospering space that brought emerging black and white musicians together.

Hall picked out voices, not names or races— his studio was an escape from racism and segregation. In fact, it was more of a recording home for everyone involved.

As someone says in the film, “we were colorblind.” The vinyl records that FAME Studios distributed proved that equality was possible. This notion was revolutionary.

What makes this film a success is that it incorporates entertaining history without feeling like a special on the History Channel. This was all happening during the Civil Rights movement, which was a new era in multiple aspects. Muscle Shoals attracted artists who were talented, but not successfully selling records in the north.

Famous entertainers from then to now— Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, etc.— are also central to the story of this film, as they are recognized for their contributions to the progression of music.

Essentially, Muscle Shoals bridged the gap in the Northern and Southern divide of the music industry. “Muscle Shoals” presents a different perspective of the evolution of music in America, specifically down south. It is the untold story of music in Alabama and its significance in American history.

For music and history lovers alike, “Muscle Shoals” is a must-see film to watch with the family.

sgore@theeagleonline.com