Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Underclassmen strong in swimming and diving season opener

AU swimming and diving teams opened its 2013 campaign with the Potomac Relay Invitational Sept. 4 with a fifth place finish in the men’s event and sixth on the women’s side.

The Invitational featured local schools Towson University, George Mason University, George Washington University, Georgetown University, Mount Saint Mary’s and University of Mary Washington.

AU finished in third place in the women’s 300 backstroke relay as sophomore Paris Wood, freshman Caylee Watson and freshman Jules Cavano posted a score of 3.01.76. This was the only event in which the Eagles had a top three finish.

Another Eagle team consisting of freshman Olivia Wans, junior Kerri Knippenberg and sophomore Ellie Lian placed seventh in the same event with a 3:13.37.

Wood, Cavano, Wans and freshman Alyssa Colasurdo posted a seventh place finish out of 14 teams with a time of 1:42.10 in the 200 yard freestyle relay.

The Eagles’ second highest finish consisted in the same event for the men’s team. Junior Harrison Volaski, freshman Kilian Korth and sophomore Dylan Rasnick posted a score of 2.41.27 in the 300 backstroke relay, to take fourth place.

The women’s team was one point shy out of a top five finish as Mount Saint Mary’s snagged the spot with 20 points compared to AU’s 19.

The men’s team posted a top 5 finish with 20 points, which marked the end of a competitive battle over fifth place against the University of Mary Washington.

The Eagles return to action Sept. 5 against George Washington University, Catholic University of America, and Loyola University. The swimming portion will take place at AU while the diving team will compete at Loyola.