Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Women’s soccer clinches playoff berth despite loss

AU clinched a playoff spot in the Patriot League Tournament despite suffering a 2-0 loss against Loyola University on Oct. 23.

The results of other Patriot League matches enabled AU to qualify for the Patriot League Tournament, giving head coach Anabel Jimenez Hering a playoff team in her first season as the women’s head soccer coach.

After a scoreless first 30 minutes, Loyola’s Charlotte Miller broke the deadlock, scoring and giving Loyola a lead it would not relinquish. Loyola’s Maddie Boccio would score a second goal in the 64 minute, giving Loyola a 2-0 advantage that would end up being the final score.

Throughout the game, Loyola’s offense did extremely well as 11 of their 16 shots were shots on goal and they also accumulated seven corner kicks. AU’s offense on the other hand stumbled as it only managed six shots, three on goal, as they were shutout for the sixth time this season.

AU junior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger had nine saves in the losing cause and AU’s scoring leader was junior Lindsay Muri with four. For Loyola, goalkeeper Didi Haracic had three saves and the shooting leader was Rosy Hayes also with four.

It was also a very physical game as both teams totaled 17 fouls, with AU picking up eight and Loyola picking up nine.

The next game for the Eagles will be on Oct. 27 at home for their final regular season home game against Boston University.