Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU Women’s Basketball Comes Up Short in Final Minutes against Fordham

The AU women’s basketball dropped Nov. 26 to Fordham University 66-62 in Bronx, NY putting the Eagles on a two game losing streak

The Eagles were up 60-59 with under two minutes to play but Fordham ended the game on a 7-2 run to close things out.

AU had no answer for Fordham senior guard Erin Rooney who scored a game high 24 points on 8-16 shooting adding 12 rebounds, six assists and two steals. Rooney accounted 13 of Fordhams final 16 points to ultimately seal the deal for the rams.

One major factor that determined the outcome of the game was free throw shooting. The Eagles were unable to get to the foul line and were unable to take advantage when they did get free throw changes, shooting just 4-of-7. Fordham was able to get to the line early and often shooting 14 of 19 from the free throw line.

The Eagles were led by sophomore Michelle Holmes who put up a career best 14 points in just 17 minutes of play off the bench. Senior Sarah Kieley added 10 points while seniors Ti’Asia McGeorge and Alexis Dobbs combined for 18 points
The Eagles return to the hardwood at Bender on December 1st when they face off against Dartmouth College at 2 p.m.