Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Field hockey wins Patriot League title

The AU Eagles field hockey team won the Patriot League tournament championship Nov. 9 after defeating Boston University 3-0.

AU (14-5,6-0 PL) played the game with a slow, building-up approach designed to get superior numbers forward and create ideal shots and penalty corners. The Terriers (13-6, 5-1 PL), aimed for a fast-paced counterattack to try to create defensive confusion.

AU dominated possession, creating more opportunities and penalty kicks than BU could fight back with. The Eagles gained possession immediately after the opening whistle and earned four penalty corners in the first half.

“We were fortunate that we we’re able to capitalize on our penalty corners today,” head coach Steve Jennings said.

The first of those conversions came off an individual effort from senior forward Shelly Montgomery. Montgomery, the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year and Patriot League Tournament Most Valuable Player, made an incredible shot from the top of the shooting circle that threaded its way through multiple BU and AU players before going in the left corner of the goal.

“Shelly is a total force, she knows she can handle any match, anybody, any time,” Jennings said. “She’s been our heart and soul, playing through so much injuries and tremendous pain- we are so thankful to have her in our program.”

Montgomery proved her skill again with a minute left in the first half. Junior midfielder Carly Atchinson inserted a penalty corner, which Montgomery buried in the net with an assist from junior defender and Patriot League All-Patriot First Team member Grace Wilson.

“We had a lot of energy in the beginning and that helped us get out to a lead that was really pivotal at the halftime mark,” Jennings said.

Entering the second half, BU began to step up its offense. However, the Terriers aggressive tactics would backfire and create additional chances for AU.

About 20 minutes into the second half, AU began a rapid counterattack, resulting in a series of penalty corners. This eventually led to a goal by senior forward Alex McMackin with Wilson gaining the assist.

BU converted their goalie into a fielder late in the game in an attempt to gain more offensive firepower but were ultimately defeated 3-0.

“This team has been on a mission, the training they’ve done in the offseason and the work they’ve done together all throughout this year,” Jennings said. “We were really not going to be denied.”

The Eagles NCAA Field Hockey Tournament oponent will be announced Nov. 10 at 10 p.m. on NCAA.com.