Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024

The Three of Clubs tour makes for a DC dance party

A sold out D.C. crowd eluded a chilly fall evening in favor of a three-hour dance party with the Three of Clubs tour at Sixth & I on Nov. 18.

MisterWives, The Royal Concept and American Authors kept the energy high all night long with their individual blends of alternative, indie, pop and rock music.

New York City-based MisterWives kicked off the show with a folksy pop rock set. Lead vocalist Mandy Lee’s voice was a rich combination of sweetness and grit that gave their songs a soulful twist. Lee excitedly bounced around the stage as she sang, keeping her audience tapping their feet and garnering smiles from her fellow band members. With their debut album set to drop in January, MisterWives quickly made a favorable impression on the D.C. crowd.

The Royal Concept shed MisterWives’s folk and soul sound in favor of a blissful cross-section of electric guitar and synthesizer. The Stockholm-based band started off with its popular “Goldrushed” and quickly got concert-goers dancing and swaying to its music.
Highlights from the Royal Concept’s set include their synth-heavy cover of Daft Punk’s “Digital Love,” “D-D-Dance,” “Gimme Twice” and their closing song “On Our Way.”

Lead vocalist David Larson added to the liveliness of the show. After removing his leather jacket earlier in the evening, Larson also removed his shirt and stood on the drum set during the band’s last song, pumping the crowd up even more.

Headliner American Authors closed the evening with songs from their recently released self-titled EP. The alternative indie rock band injected the venue with a newfound spirit as lead vocalist Zachary Barnett encouraged the crowd to sing along, or to wave their hands in the air.

Crowd interaction was best when the band played its song “Believer,” a cover of Ellie Goulding’s “Lights” and its popular single “Best Day of My Life.”

With three sensational performances from promising up-and-coming bands, D.C. enthusiastically kicked their Monday blues to the curb.