Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Wrestling's Herrin dominates second straight Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational

Senior No.17 Blake Herrin won the heavyweight at the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational for the second consecutive year. Nine total grapplers recorded top 10 finishes as the Eagles finished fifth in team competition with 91 points.

On his way to a title, Herrin posted three consecutive decisions defeating Oklahoma University’s Zach Merrill 7-4, Buffalo University’s James Benjamin 11-4, and clinched his title by defeating OU Ross Larson in the final round.

“Our offense was not crisp and it took a few matches for people to look comfortable,” Eagles head coach Teague Moore told AUEagles.com. “However there are a lot of good things to take away from this experience.”

While Herrin stole the spotlight, other AU wrestlers also put on impressive performances including sophomore No.18 David Terao, who finished runner-up to Oklahoma University’s Jarrod Patterson in the 125 pound class bracket. Terao got off to a great start beating Brockport University’s Dillon Stowell in a 24-8 technical fall, and then went on to defeat Buffalo University’s Max Soria in a 12-6 decision before ultimately being defeated by Patterson.

Senior No.13 Daniel Mitchell, who placed third in the 197 pound class, began his tournament by pinning Brockport University’s Paul Glover in 3:25. Following a tough 3-2 decision loss to Bloomsburg University’s Rich Perry, Mitchell went on to avenge himself by winning back-to-back decisions, including an impressive 7-2 decision over Army’s Bryce Barnes to secure a third place finish for his weight class.

No.5 Oklahoma would win the team title with 168 points

The Eagles return home to face the Virginia Tech Hokies in the first dual of the year on Nov. 17.

sports@theeagleonline.com”: sports@theeagleonline.com