Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024

5 ways to relieve stress during finals

It’s that time of year again: finals. When everyone panics over papers and pulls all-nighters to study for their exams. Luckily, The Eagle has compiled some useful tips and tricks on how to make it through the end of the semester.

1. Get moving
Exercising has been proven to reduce stress levels for chemical and behavioral reasons. With lots to do already, there is no need to go to the gym for two hours. A 20-minute run (preferably outside) is enough to boost those endorphins. Or take a class at Bender or Cassell gyms, such as stress-free yoga with their finals schedule.

2. Eat green
It’s all about the nutrients. Spinach and leafy greens, salmon, oatmeal and citrus fruits contain healthy vitamins to get through this stressful time. Magnesium, also known as nature’s ‘best chill pill,’ is a must for effective long-term concentration and can be found in naturally green vegetables. However, dark chocolate also helps reduce levels of stress hormones.

3. Tune in
Music therapy: it’s a thing and it works. Research has shown that specific music genres depending on the individual can help boost your mood and reduce anxiety. Choose a song that helps you relax for a beneficial time-out for your brain and body.

4. Be picky about people
We all have at least one stressful person in our entourage, which can lead to more stress during finals. Think about stress as if it is something contagious. People work at different paces when it comes to studying so avoid comparing yourself to others.

5. Sleep
Who needs sleep, right? Unfortunately, you do. Sleepless nights make you more irritable than you already are. And the less you sleep, the higher the amount of stress hormones in your system. Try to skip that last Red Bull and go straight to bed.