Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Tony Wroblicky leads men’s basketball in win over Howard

The AU men’s basketball team defeated crosstown opponent Howard University at Bender Arena on Dec. 4. Senior center Tony Wroblicky’s set a personal best of 23 points, which led AU (3-4, 0-0, PL) to its third win of the season.

Wroblicky was quickly off to a remarkable start, scoring 15 points in the first half. He added 10 rebounds to the effort and earned a double-double in the first 20 minutes of the game, his first of the season.

“I honestly didn’t know I had a double-double,” Wroblicky said. “My teammates were able to find me the ball, I was able to make some shots. It was just one of those games where everything I threw up pretty much went in.”

Wroblicky went on to score a career-best 23 points in the contest. He was also efficient, making 11 of his 12 field goals in the match.

AU’s powerful defense kept Howard (2-8, 0-0, MEAC) at bay, especially during the first half. While Wroblicky added to AU’s offense, AU’s defensive pressure caused problems for Howard from the start of the match. AU caused four Howard turnovers within the first five minutes of the game, forcing the Bisons to call a timeout. Junior guard Darius Gardner collected two of his four steals in those five minutes.

AU earned 19 of their 31 total rebounds in the first half. The Eagles’ defense held the Bison to a 19 field goal percentage in the first period.

The Eagles’ ability to convert on their defense made a significant impact on the match. AU made 18 points off of Howard turnovers in the first half. Offensive rebounds led to nine total second chance points for the Eagles.

In addition to their defensive presence, The Eagles’ offense was in control from start to finish. AU had an average a 56 field goal percentage during the game. The Eagles also added timely three-point shots from junior guard John Schoof and freshman guard Jalen Rhea. Schoof was 3-3 on three-point field goals in the first half.

“I’ve definitely found the opportunity to get good shots.” Schoof said. “My teammates are doing a great job of finding me, screening for me.”

Led by Gardner and freshman guard Charlie Jones, AU moved the ball around well throughout the game. Gardner and Jones contributed five assists to AU’s 22 total assists, more than triple Howard’s assists.

“I’m throwing the ball out and I’m always trying to get [Gardner] the ball,” Schoof said. “He sees the floor, he sees the open guy, and he almost always makes the right play, especially against the press. At the half court, he’s always attacking, looking to make plays, finding open guys. He does a lot for us all-around.”

AU will play its last game home game of 2013 when it faces off against Brown University on Dec. 7.

sports@theeagleonline.com”: sports@theeagleonline.com