Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

The Eagle staff predicts the Super Bowl

The staff at the Eagle give their pick for the big game between the Seahawks and Broncos on Sunday.

The big conversation leading up to the Super Bowl is whether the top-ranked Seahawk defense is better than the top-ranked Broncos defense. So obviously the more important matchup is the competition between the Seahawks’ No. 17 ranked offense and the Broncos’ No. 19 ranked defense.
Without Von Miller, the Broncos lose their top defensive playmaker while the Seahawks are adding an offensive playmaker with Percy Harvin cleared to play. The addition for the Seahawks and the subtraction for the Broncos gives Seattle the advantage in the game.
-Eric Saltzman, sports managing editor

I have the Broncos winning this game. It’s clear this game means a lot more to the Broncos and Peyton Manning’s legacy than it does to Seattle. Even if Seattle loses, this would be a very successful season for them. That being said, I see the Broncos coming out more fired up and more focused.
In addition, the Seahawks have had the benefit of the 12th man throughout the regular season and the playoffs. How will this team respond on a neutral field is my question. Finally, Russell Wilson has been struggling a bit as of lately with some uncharacteristically low quarterback rating as of late. With all of this in mind, I see the more experienced and poised Broncos pulling this one off.
-Austin Sternlicht, sports contributing writer

As much as I would like to see Seattle lose to Peyton Manning after grinding out a win against the 49ers, I believe that they will prove that the NFC West is the toughest division in football today. I expect to see a tough game for both teams, but I believe Seattle’s physical defensive line will tough it out and present problems for Manning. Seattle will pull it out in a low scoring game.
-David Lim, news reporter

This year’s Super Bowl outcome will be determined by a battle between the soothing sound of Paula Cole singing “I don’t want to wait” and one Broncos fan’s ability to remain in a basement. Sound strange? “It’s only weird if it doesn’t work,” according to multiple Bud Light commercials, which have shown that with each time Cole’s hit song is played on a jukebox, the Seattle Seahawks score a touchdown and that every time this unknown Denver hero gets a Bud Light from a basement, the Broncos do the same.
In the end, the Denver hero is bound to run out of Bud Light to retrieve and the Broncos offense will shut down, leading to a Seahawks win.
-Alex Romero, assistant sports editor

I would love Peyton Manning to lose the Super Bowl, but I think the Broncos bring both a strong offense and defense to every game. Manning is a strong quarterback and has been able to coordinate well with his team. I think it’ll be a good game no matter which team wins. After all, the true winners are the commercials.
-Heather Mongilio, managing editor of news

I’ll be watching the Puppy Bowl, so cheers to whoever wins.
-Amber Cohen, senior news writer

I like all San Francisco teams. The Seahawks beat the 49ers. The enemy of the enemy is my friend. Go Broncos!
-Kara Avanceña, sports beat writer

The only prediction I am comfortable making without jinxing my team (the Denver Broncos) is to estimate the over/under on the number of times Peyton Manning says “Omaha” at the line of scrimmage. Vegas has it at 27 ½ , I’m taking over. What I will say is that the Broncos have Peyton Manning’s laser rocket arm and laser rocket focus to pick apart Seattle’s defense.
-Jennifer Reyes, assistant sports editor

Personally, I’m hoping that the Seahawks win so that we can all watch Richard Sherman saying in the post-game interview that Peyton Manning is a mediocre quarterback.
-Zach Leciejewski, sports beat writer

The Super Bowl will begin on Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m. on FOX.