Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Men’s basketball struggles in second half, loses to Lafayette

After its hot start to the calendar year with an 11-game winning streak, the AU men’s basketball team has lost three out of their last four games, including 74-62 to Lafayette Feb. 15 in Easton, PA.

“I have said all season that this is an extremely balanced league,” head coach Mike Brennan told AUEagles.com “We did not execute the way we needed to in the second half and Lafayette did. We need to move on and get ready for BU on Wednesday.”

Although AU led from the opening for most of the first half, Lafayette would not go away quietly keeping the game within one or two possessions and taking a 19-18 lead with 6:28 remaining in the half

However, AU regained its composure at the end of the half going on a seven point run to gain a six point advantage. AU (15-10, 11-3 PL) maintained the size of its lead going into the half (8-17, 4-10 PL), up 33-27.

The second half would be a total defensive collapse for AU as they gave up 47 points in the second period, more than they gave up in the entirety of their previous game against Lehigh. Lafayette managed to outscore AU 21-9 in the first eight minutes of the half, allowing the Leopards to build up a 12-point advantage.

AU continued to battle and cut the Leopard lead to six thanks to a three by junior guard John Schoof at the three minute mark.

This would be the closest AU came to retaking the lead as Lafayette sealed its victory with 12 straight points in the closing moments of the second half to increase their lead to 74-56, their largest lead of the game and winning by a 12-point margin.

Senior center Tony Wroblicky and sophomore guard Jesse Reed scored 13 points each, the leading scorers for AU. Wroblicky also led the team in rebounds with six and junior guard Darius Gardner led the team in assists with five. For Lafayette, Dan Trist led the Leopards in points, rebounds, and assists and recording a double-double, with 19 points to go along with 10 rebounds and three assists.

AU’s next game will be Feb. 19 as they visit Boston University in a game to determine the top of the Patriot League standings.