Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Six Eagle runners record top-10 finishes at Patriot League Championships

The AU men’s track team placed ninth and the women’s team ranked tenth at the Patriot League Indoor Championships on Feb. 21 and 22 at Bucknell University.

Three AU runners posted top-10 finishes on Feb. 22. For the men’s team, freshman Brendan Johnson placed ninth in the 5,000 meter run, leading AU runners in the event with a time of 14:46.91. Other AU runners in the event included junior Thomas Woermer, placing 13th with a time of 15:01.52 and senior John Pope, placing 15th with a time of 15:09.50.

For the women’s team, senior Krystal Foster finished 10th in the women’s 5,000 meter run with a time of 17:46:23, the fifth fastest time in program history. In the 4×800 meter relay, the combination of sophomore Anike Oladeji, freshman Corina Velazco, senior Julia Sullivan and sophomore Kelseagh Budris finished in seventh place with a time of 9:26.4, also the fifth fastest time in program history.

The Eagles recorded three more top-10 performances Feb. 23. For the men’s team, senior Constantine Matsakis led AU runners in the mile, finishing eighth with a time of 4:16.78. For the women’s team, Sullivan finished fourth in the 3,000 meter race with an ECAC qualifying time of 9:56.51, marking her third ECAC qualifying time of the season. Sullivan also finished a top time in the mile at sixth with a time of 5:04.99.

Overall, Navy won the team title for the men’s side, recording a total of 201.83 points. Boston University took the title on the women’s side with 210 points. AU opens up their outdoor season on March 14 and 15 at the Coastal Carolina Invitational in Conway, S.C.