Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024

AU Queers and Allies celebrates LGBT Month with screenings, stories

There will be fewer events to celebrate this year’s LGBT History Month, but it is on purpose.

An overwhelming number of events aren’t necessary to have a strong, meaningful month of celebration, Coordinator of LGBTQ Programming Matthew Bruno said. Students and staff have planned events that include a film screening, coming out stories, awareness training and a coming out day.

“We are doing less events with more purpose this year,” Bruno said.

This purpose includes bringing focus to the variety of identities and interests held in the LGBT community. Identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender doesn’t fully express every aspect of who that person is, and rigid definitions pigeonhole people, according to Bruno.

Since LGBT club members are involved with a variety of campus organizations, Bruno said he encouraged these campus groups to co-sponsor events to help spotlight identity diversity.

One of Bruno’s favorite events is the Coming Out Monologues. Currently in its fourth year, the event was held at the Perch on Oct. 8 at 8 p.m. and featured true stories of coming out by the AU community. The individual monologues highlight specific experiences, but elicit a breadth of understanding when heard as a whole, according to Bruno.

“The monologues are so specific that it gives the audience a chance to realize we all experience our lives differently, even when we identify in the same group,” he said.

Coming Out on the Quad, an event sponsored by AU Queers and Allies, was held on the quad last Thursday. LGBT community members and allies surrounded a free-standing door and frame while people walked through the door to celebrate coming out.

Lex Loro, executive director of AU Queers and Allies, said the event attracts hundreds of people each year and is always energetic and inspiring.

“It is very symbolic,” Loro said. “The act of walking through an actual door into a loving, supporting, cheering crowd is very powerful.”

The door frame was decorated with notes of love and support from the AU community. AU Queers and Allies collected messages to adorn the frame using the hashtag #AUComingOut.

Coming Out on the Quad and National Coming Out Day also celebrate members of the LGBT community who have not come out, Loro said.

“We recognize not everyone is able to come out and that is okay,” Loro said. “We support every member of our community whether they come out now or not at all.”

Upcoming events include multiple workshops as well as the first Pride Welcome Reception hosted by AU Pride Alumni Alliance for the All-American Weekend.

For those who aren’t able to attend this month’s events, Loro said there are other ways to celebrate and participate.

Loro encourages LGBT allies to take a more active role in the community. To start, campus organizations should enroll in AU’s Safe Space and Trans 101 workshops. She also suggests coming to an HIV testing event or attending a Queer and Allies meeting.

“Celebrating and supporting the LGBT community doesn’t end in October,” Loro said.