Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU Volleyball continues winning streak

The Eagles earned a quick victory on Oct. 7 when they traveled to Loyola Maryland and swept the Greyhounds in three sets.

AU (14-4, 5-0 PL) notched their 10th straight victory with the recent win, and the Eagles currently stand on top in the Patriot League standings.

“It was a solid night for us,” senior libero Megan Rosburg said.

AU scored the first point of the match off a kill by freshman middle blocker Erin Swartz. The Greyhounds (2-16, 0-5 PL) matched the Eagles first several points but were unable to keep up with AU’s offense.

The Eagles went on a 16-3 run and ended the first set 25-14, following another kill from Swartz.

AU continued their dominance in the second set, and they put up five points before Loyola managed to get on the board. The Eagles maintained control, and took the following point on a serving error by Loyola.

Loyola’s errors cost them the second set, with missteps that ranged from improper ball handling to multiple attack slip ups. AU capitalized on the Greyhound’s mistakes and won the second set 26-14.

The third set was the closest of the three, but the Eagles maintained the lead. Senior setter Monika Smidova led off the scoring for AU with a kill, and she concluded the set in the same fashion, propelling the Eagles to a victory in the third set 25-17.

Smidova earned 10 digs and 25 assists in the Eagles sweep, and junior outside hitter Allison also also performed well, leading the team with 10 kills.

Rosburg hopes that win will give her team confidence heading into upcoming Patriot League play.

“It’s nice to see many parts of our game steadily improve and come together as the season progresses,” Rosburg said.