Monday, Sept. 16, 2024
Beatrice_Dixon.jpeg

Black-owned businesses that support beauty and self-care

These businesses all have a unique aspect to encourage you to include Black businesses in your daily routines

As protests continue in D.C., and in many other cities and small towns in the United States, demanding an end to police brutality and justice for the killing of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and other innocent lives, there are many different ways  you can support the Black Lives Matter movement and the Black community overall. Along with  donating to organizations whose goals are to end racial injustice, some of which you can find in The Eagle’s recent staff editorial, you can also support Black-owned businesses. Here is a list of 14 Black-owned fashion, beauty and self-care businesses you can find online. 

Fashion

• America Hates US (AHUS)
    • America Hates US (or AHUS) is a brand that sells items like stickers, mugs, t-shirts, hats and sweatshirts that aims to start a conversation on American politics, current news and events. The website states that it is “powered by liberty, freedom, and justice [for some].” AHUS donates 20 percent of its proceeds to organizations such as Planned Parenthood, National Bail Out, ACLU and Flint Filter Water. The business hopes to increase its contributions to these groups in the future.
  • BLK MKT Vintage
    • BLK MKT Vintage is a collection of vintage items that aims to bring Black history and experience into buyers’ homes. Curated by founders Jannah Handy and Kiyanna Stewart, the collection includes items like vintage literature, vinyl records, clothing, art, housewares/decor, furniture and other goods. Currently, BLK MKT Vintage is collaborating with Philadelphia Print Works to create a line of new and vintage t-shirts and hoodies.
  • Cee Cee’s Closet NYC
    • Founded by two sisters, Chioma and Uchenna Ngwudo, Cee Cee’s Closet offers a variety of clothing and accessories. It is renowned for selling high-quality head wraps that come in many designs and colors. All accessories are designed by the sisters and are handmade by artisans in Nigeria.
  • DIOP
    • Mapate Diop founded his self-titled “diaspora inspired streetwear” brand in his 20s, inspired by the Ankara fabric his mother brought to America from Nigeria. Diop has recently expanded its line to include fabric face masks to protect wearers against the spread of COVID-19. For each mask sold, DIOP is donating a portion of proceeds to the coronavirus relief initiatives, including Feed the Frontlines, which supports Detroit restaurants and provides meals to emergency and healthcare workers.
  • For the Leaux
    • For the Leaux aims to “bridge the gap between high fashion and affordability,” according to its mission statement. The brand sells men’s and women’s fashion, accessories and athletic wear. For the Leaux offers a membership program for its customers that includes perks like free shipping, early access shopping to new collections and exclusive deals. Shoppers can even order custom pieces through the store’s website. Due to a recent increase in sales, a lot of items on the company’s website have sold out, but shoppers are encouraged to keep checking back as new items will be available soon.
  • Mind of Kye
    • Mind of Kye was founded by Kyemah McEntyre, a designer whose self-designed prom dress went viral in 2015. Now with her own online store, McEntyre creates and sells her own dresses, sets, accessories, tops, scarves and art. McEntyre’s brand is based on a combination of color “and line theory to influence social change.”
  • Sonson
    • Described as “the first bow tie brand originally dedicated to fathers and sons,” Sonson launched in 2014 and was inspired by the lack of fashionable and timeless gift selections geared toward fathers and sons. Recently, the brand has pivoted to making and donating masks to support COVID-19 relief, while offering a variety of masks for customers to purchase.

Self-Care and  Beauty 

• Briogeo
    • Founder Nancy Twine grew up making homemade hair products with her grandmother. When Twine moved to New York City, and could no longer rely on her homemade hair care, she decided to create Briogeo, a clean hair care line that caters to all textures. Some of Briogeo’s award-winning products include a deep conditioning hair mask, a micro-exfoliating shampoo and a volumizing root powder.
  • Golde
    • Looking for some items to build your self-care routine? Look no further than Golde! Co-founders Trinity Mouzon Wofford and Issey Kobori started their natural wellness brand in Brooklyn in the hopes of making all customers feel like their best selves. From face masks to vegan latte blends in fun packaging, Golde’s products spice up your personal wellness routine.
  • Hanahana Beauty
    • Hanahana Beauty is a clean beauty brand known for its shea butter products. The company sustainably sources its shea butter and pays double the fair trade price to its suppliers. Even so, Hanahana’s products are still affordable. 
  • The Honey Pot
    • After suffering from complications from the feminine care products she was using, The Honey Pot’s founder, Bea Dixon, started making her own feminine care products in her kitchen. All of The Honey Pot’s products are biodegradable, cruelty-free and “made by humans with vaginas, for humans with vaginas,” according to The Honey Pot’s website. Today, Dixon’s items are sold at large retailers like Target, Whole Foods and Walgreens. The line includes everything from organic tampons to bath bombs to creams.
  • OUI The People
    • Formerly known as OUI Shave, OUI The People changed its name to reflect all of their consumers, not just women, who shave. With an emphasis on ditching limited use razors and blades, OUI introduces consumers to more sustainable products made to combat razor burn and ingrown hairs. Although the company’s products are on the more expensive side, they offer refillable shaving gel, glass bottles and 100 percent recyclable blades- not to mention, the razor itself can last you a lifetime of uses.
  • People of Color
    • After her young daughter took an interest in nail polish, Jacqueline Carrington decided to create her own line of nail lacquers, especially designed to compliment the skin tones of people of color. The brand offers all vegan and cruelty-free nail polishes in various nude shades, as well as in bold shades of green, pink and purple. With most polishes starting at $12, People of Color is a great addition to your nail polish collection.
  • Unsun
    • Katonya Breaux founded Unsun in 2016 after becoming frustrated with the natural sunscreen options for people of color. According to its website, “Unsun Cosmetics was created to provide, clean, no-residue options that were kind to the person using it as well as the environment it’s being used in.” Some of Unsun’s most popular products include its range of mineral tinted sunscreen and SPF 15 hand cream and body lotion.

Although this list is just the beginning, it can serve as an inspiration to include products of Black-owned businesses in your everyday routine. 

ewalsh@theeagleonline.com