Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024
AUSG-01.PNG

Student Government hosts annual banquet to welcome in new executive members

SG senators recognized with awards for campus work

The outgoing American University Student Government executive board came together to welcome in the new executive board at SG’s annual banquet on April 26, offering words of wisdom and presenting awards to select senators. 

The banquet was organized by the executive board to “commemorate the diligent efforts and achievements of the student government this academic year.” 

The event cost a little under $2,200 and was funded by SG’s portion of the mandatory student activity fee according to Abigail Wolfe, the outgoing SG comptroller. 

“Since we were able to book Constitution [Hall] as the venue for free, we were required to go through Chartwells for catering if we wanted food,” Wolfe wrote in a statement to The Eagle. “The total cost of food to ensure everyone will be able to eat plus labor costs is $2,116.74.”

The executive board honored each senator with awards such as Best Survivor Outreach and Advocacy, presented to Laina Pond, and Outstanding Advocate for Free-Speech and Campus Democracy, presented to Kaden Ouimet. 

After awards, each member of the outgoing executive board gave a speech about their journey before welcoming the new electee. 

Outgoing Secretary Julia Comino spoke to the administrators in the room, including Acting Provost Vicky Wilkins, Vice President of Student Affairs Raymond Ou and Director for the Center of Diversity and Inclusion Robin Adams. 

“I don’t intend to right now regurgitate all of the multiple letters, resolutions and hours of meeting that AUSG has had with administrators,” Comino said. “I want to today honor the student advocacy and protests that has persisted in the face of administrative inaction and repressive policy.” 

Outgoing Comptroller Wolfe gifted incoming electee Salvatore Cottone with a journal during her speech, expressing hope that he would use the journal “in any way, shape or form to help reflect on your role and your goals in this position.” 

Addressing Comino, outgoing Vice President Arusa Islam passed on the gavel and words of advice to prepare her for Comino’s role as vice president for the 2024-25 school year. 

“As Julia steps into the role of vice president, she will cross distances and achieve excellence in areas that I could not,” Islam said. “She is the definition of what it means to be a passionate leader.”

Outgoing President Edwin Santos shared some words of wisdom for Islam, who will be assuming the position May 1.

“If I could give a few tips would be that, yes change can’t wait but unfortunately change takes time,” Santos said. “Secondly, work as a team. What we did wouldn’t have been possible if we didn’t collaborate as an E-Board with our senators.”

This article was edited by Kathryn Squyres, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Isabelle Kravis

campuslife@theeagleonline.com