Friday, Sept. 13, 2024
Ritika Shroff headshot

Advice: Can college friends last forever, or is that a myth?

You asked, and we answered: How any friendship can last, not just through college

The following piece is an opinion and does not reflect the views of The Eagle and its staff. All opinions are edited for grammar, style and argument structure and fact-checked, but the opinions are the writer’s own.

Can college friends last forever, or is that a myth?

Friendships, especially those forged in college, have a remarkable capacity to witness and adapt to our personal growth and changes. The college environment offers abundant opportunities to enjoy the company of your friends. Whether you’re living on the same floor, attending classes together or crossing paths on the quad, you’re likely to interact with these friends more frequently than any other type of friend you’ve had before. This unique aspect of college relationships sets them apart. Can college friendships endure? Absolutely. 

These friendships are nurtured during a pivotal time in our lives, and our college friends have the privilege to witness our growth like no one else. However, like any other relationship, it requires mutual effort to sustain these friendships, even during short breaks like winter and summer vacations. Communication is not just a key, it’s the foundation of any relationship, and thankfully in the 21st century, it is easier than ever to communicate. However, without that essential pillar of the relationship, the foundation may weaken.  

As a rising sophomore, I’m already witnessing the formation of lifelong friendships. Admittedly, I’ve experienced my fair share of friendship breakups at American University and at home. These can be painful, especially when you have a long history with someone. However, taking a step back has allowed me to appreciate the depth of the friendships I’ve formed in such a short period. I couldn’t have navigated this past year without some of the people I’ve met, and I can’t envision a future without them. My friends from home hold a special place in my heart, but our style of friendship differs from what I’ve discovered in college. My home friends have years of shared experiences and a unique closeness from the bonds I’ve formed at American University. It’s a testament to the adaptability and resilience of college friendships, which should reassure you of their lasting potential.

College friendships can stand the test of time in a remarkable way. Despite coming from different backgrounds, these bonds can truly last a lifetime with dedication and hard work from everyone involved. 

Ritika Shroff is a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and a columnist for The Eagle. 

This article was edited by Alana Parker, Jelinda Montes, Rebeca Samano Arellano and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti.

opinion@theeagleonline.com