Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024
DPA review pic

AU Department of Performing Arts presents extensive Fall 2024 performance lineup

The department blends classic and original works at the Greenberg Theater and Katzen Arts Center

The Department of Performing Arts presented an exciting lineup of theatrical works as American University comes back to life for the fall 2024 semester. 

A mainstage production will be presented at The Greenberg Theater and other shows will be held at the Katzen Studio Theater. 

“As You Like It” will take the stage from Oct. 1-19 at the Greenberg Theatre, directed by AU’s Aaron Posner. The adaptation originally by William Shakespeare breathes a modern, whimsical air into the classic story featuring pop-folk music and a dreamy atmosphere.

The Theater and Musical Theater Department is set to debut the Class of 2028 in “Overture,” on Sept. 27 and Sept. 28  at the Katzen Studio Theater. The annual production written and directed by Nancy Bannon will explore the all-too-familiar trials and triumphs of entering one’s college years through song, dance and dialogue, with fresh interpretations from the performers. 

“As You Like it,” has similar themes and visual design to last year’s production of “Head Over Heels.” According to DPA faculty member Jason Arnold, this show “will feel more like a community,” as the performers also serve as the musicians. He cites an industry trend of what he calls “hybrid” shows, and hopes to see the cast thrive within it. 

“A lot goes into season selection,” Arnold said. “We want to challenge students and pick shows that have diverse casts to fit a diverse student body so that [students] can play characters that represent who they are and what they are passionate about.” 

Later in October, “In Pieces,” a new musical, will take the stage at the Katzen Studio Theater under the direction of Carl Menninger, with original score and lyrics by Joey Contreras. The realistic fiction piece depicts eight characters navigating relationships in New York City while also discovering who they are in the process.

“In Pieces” has only been performed in a more concert-like setting. Arnold explained that the cast will be inspired by YouTube playlists by Contreras to supplement their interpretations of the piece. 

“It’s very different, very new,” Arnold said. “It still feels relevant to the cast.” 

“In Pieces” will be performed at the Katzen Studio Theater from Oct. 24-26.

To round out the semester, the Department will present “Sometimes the Rain, Sometimes the Sea,” written by Julia Izumi and directed by adjunct faculty member Nick Martin. The production is a tribute to the life and works of Hans Christian Andersen. 

“Sometimes the Rain, Sometimes the Sea” features the character Dolan, which Martin originated in the Rorshach Theater’s 2023 production, who tells the story of the character Little Rain Cloud who falls in love with a human with allegorical references to the creation of Andersen’s The Little Mermaid.

According to Daniel Abraham, the chair of the Department of Performing Arts, pieces are chosen for their pedagogical value with educational and social factors as major considerations. 

Abraham emphasized the unique nature of this year’s department-wide selections. 

“This is one of those years where I don’t see a connecting thread [reflected in the semester’s selections], but more of a great variety of themes relevant to the University community,” Abraham said. 

The Department encourages anyone interested in attending and supporting the shows to reserve tickets soon, as mainstage performances sell out quickly. 

“Performing arts in particular is always a reflection of society and its challenges,” Abraham said. “These are challenging times, so we featured some show selections that help people unravel the big questions about it.” 

This article was edited by Sydney Hemmer, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing by Luna Jinks and Ariana Kavoossi. 

arts@theeagleonline.com