Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024
AUPD photo.png

BREAKING: American University continues to review arming AUPD

Working group to complete security review by end of semester

American University’s Security Review Working Group will complete its work by the end of the fall semester as the University nears a  final decision on whether to arm American University Police Department officers, Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer Bronté Burleigh-Jones announced in an email Tuesday afternoon.

No decision has been made yet to arm AUPD, Burleigh-Jones said. 

Almost a year since the topic was first brought forth to the University community following a shooting at Morgan State University, efforts from the Security Review Working Group are still ongoing as they weigh a variety of options. 

George Washington University now arms a portion of their campus police force with 9 mm handguns after recently finishing their arming process. GW continued their rollout even after large portions of the community protested the plans.

Burleigh-Jones outlined four main levels of armament the University is considering: making no changes to AUPD’s current pepper spray and batons, giving them other non-lethal weapons, giving them the ability to deploy firearms from police cars and arming all officers.

Burleigh-Jones and Assistant Vice President of University Police Services Philip Morse have led the working group made up of faculty, staff and students. 

Community members looking to provide feedback should attend community forums that will take place in October and complete a University-wide survey set to be sent in October. 

The University has put together resources online. As part of the review, they will also begin community information sessions this month to share information about the current state of AUPD, campus safety measures and insight from researchers and experts on policing.  

“To address such a complex topic, we recognize that it is imperative to engage the entire university community, soliciting and gauging their possible concerns, as well as weighing all potential safety implications,” Burleigh-Jones said. 

This article was edited by Tyler Davis and Abby Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti.