Monday, Sept. 30, 2024
ausignstock2.jpg

BREAKING: Inaugural Student Civic Fellows program launches applications

Students will serve as ambassadors for Civic Life initiative

American University’s new Civic Life Initiative announced applications for its Student Civic Fellows program, which will give students opportunities to interact with the Initiative’s on and off-campus partners through leadership, mentorship and dialogues, according to an email sent by University President Jonathan Alger. 

The Civic Life initiative aims to unify on-campus organizations, students and University partners in creative, effective and impactful discourse on pressing issues impacting the lives of members of the AU community. 

Fellows for the Civic Life Initiative will “receive leadership training, work closely with faculty mentors and university leadership, serve as ambassadors for the Civic Life Initiative, and host events that create space for critical conversations on complex issues.”

Program ambassadors will get leadership training, access to networking opportunities with speakers and partner organizations and meaningful public speaking experience, according to the application. 

Alger highlighted the importance the program and administration places on unity and a “pluralistic democracy” as Election Day approaches. 

“AU can and must be a leader in civic engagement and civic education and a model of how to build a community in which diverse people can live, learn, and work together in peace,” Alger said in the email. 

Fellowships are available to undergraduate, graduate and online graduate students via an online application due by Oct. 11. The Civic Life Initiative will begin its semester programming following Fall Break, with a kickoff event on Oct. 21 to be announced soon, according to the email. 

This article was edited by Marina Zaczkiewicz, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti.