Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024
Quad Stock 1 - 23/24 stock

BREAKING: President Alger announces The Civic Life Steering Committee, Presidential speakers series

Committee will organize civic engagement events for AU students

American University President Jonathan Alger and Acting Provost and Chief Academic Officer Vicky Wilkins announced the creation of The Civic Life Steering Committee, who will be responsible for leading The Civic Life, which aims to empower the University community by “enhancing civic education and fostering active participation in civic life,” according to an email sent Monday. 

The Civic Life Steering Committee, will oversee the “creation of educational modules and programs in collaboration with faculty, staff, external experts and partners; encourage participation and engagement across all community segments through promotion and inclusive strategies; establish metrics to assess the program’s effectiveness; and develop a plan to extend the program into the future.” The committee will report to Alger and Wilkins with regular updates and submit a “comprehensive final report detailing outcomes, impacts, and recommendations.”

Tom Merrill, director of the Lincoln Scholars Program, an associate professor in the School of Public Affairs and former chair of the Faculty Senate will chair the committee. Merrill will be joined by 12 administrators and faculty across the University:

• Amy Dacey, executive director of the Sine Institute of Policy and Politics
  • Elizabeth Deal, assistant vice president for community and internal communications
  • Jocelyn Hill, associate athletic director for recreation and aquatic facilities
  • Dayne Hutchinson, assistant vice president for student engagement and success
  • Patrick Jackson, chair of the Department of Global Inquiry and professor in the School of International Service
  • Ocheze Joseph, director of undergraduate programs and senior professorial lecturer in the School of Education
  • Eric Lohr, chair of the Department of History and professor in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Theresa Rundstetler, professor of history in CAS
  • Lara Schwartz, senior professorial lecturer in SPA and director of the Project on Civic Dialogue
  • Edwina Simms, assistant vice president for alumni relations
  • Amanda Taylor, assistant vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion
  • Bridget Trogden, dean of Undergraduate Education and Academic Student Services

The “Perspectives on The Civic Life” presidential speaker series will put on some of the first events of the academic year. Eboo Patel – founder and president of Interfaith America, a nonprofit organization – will start off the series with a “fireside chat” Sept. 18. Additional events, like absentee ballot days and lectures are already on the calendar for the rest of September and October, and others will be announced soon, Alger and Wilkins wrote.

As president of James Madison University, Alger opened the James Madison Center for Civic Engagement, which intended to increase voter registration and civic and political participation among the JMU student body. The Center also hosted programs and created academic courses encouraging civic leadership and discussions about political issues. 

“We hope you will join in these opportunities to learn about civic engagement, connect with fellow AU Eagles, and hear from experts about how we all play a critical role in a civic society based on dialogue, inquiry, and respect,” Alger and Wilkins said in the email.

This article was edited by Sydney Hsu, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Ariana Kavoossi and Charlie Mennuti.