Monday, Sept. 16, 2024
Avyay Sriperumbudur headshot

Opinion: American University’s campus is underappreciated

Location, safety and walkability create a great environment for students

The following piece is an opinion and does not reflect the views of The Eagle and its staff. All opinions are edited for grammar, style and argument structure and fact-checked, but the opinions are the writer’s own.

When discussing American University as a prospective or current student, people rarely bring up the University’s campus as a factor. Aspects of the campus like the surrounding neighborhood, safety and walkability are rarely considered, showing how it is underrated. Prospective and current students of American University should appreciate its campus more. 

I’m from a suburb in the Bay Area, and I was worried I’d be lost in the crowd in a city like D.C. When I arrived, though, I realized this was not the case at all. American University is located in the Spring Valley neighborhood, which was much more similar to my hometown than I had thought. Whether students come from a city or a suburb, AU’s campus, with its presence of nature and walkability, allow students to feel at home. 

Students often complain that the University is too far from downtown D.C. However, location is an integral aspect of the University’s campus as it provides many other benefits, particularly safety. Suburban areas are generally safer than major cities. With the University being slightly removed from the more lively parts of D.C., a well-lit campus allows for more safety than one would expect of a school in the nation’s capital. 

The Spring Valley neighborhood surrounding American University also allows for a safe and suburban feel, which is unique for a college in a big city. It is considered one of the best places to live in the city due to its safety and location, a fact that is rarely brought up in conversations about the school. 

However, does this suburban location take away from connection to the city? Probably not. The University’s shuttle system stops at the Tenleytown - AU metro stop, ensuring students still have direct access to downtown and other D.C. neighborhoods. The University’s suburban location doesn’t detract from its big city appeal. Whether students come from suburban or urban hometowns, they have the opportunity to feel at home at American University.

Students often focus on the fact that the University is slightly removed from downtown instead of recounting the benefits of this. For example, the University’s proximity to nature is quite unique for a school located in a city. My friends and I have often taken walks in the forests behind the freshman dorms, and I usually pass by some kind of nature while running errands: deer, foxes and other animals, which I did not expect when I decided to come to American University. Nature, though, has made the University feel more like home and less like I’m lost in a crowd. 

Despite its population of almost 8,000 students, the University is surprisingly walkable. This past year, my longest walk to a class was about 10 minutes despite living in Letts Hall, one of the furthest dorms from classes, highlighting the ease of the university. Dining locations are also conveniently located with TDR being at the center of campus. Other dining locations are spread around the campus, with one in almost every building. This aspect of the University’s campus is rarely talked about, but it has saved me plenty of time. 

Students often overlook the many campus spots to hang out with friends and study. I was surprised that the quad actually acted as a place for people to hang out when it’s nice out. During the partial solar eclipse in April, it was nearly full. Activities on the quad have made me feel more connected to the University’s community and meeting classmates there made me feel more comfortable. Other areas on campus, such as the outdoor beach volleyball courts and basketball courts, give students the chance to be active. 

Both prospective and current students of American University should pay more attention to different aspects of its campus. Current students can turn this appreciation into action by talking with prospective students about the benefits of campus, spending more time in the green areas and using the walkability of campus to join clubs and organizations. The location, safety and walkability make for a college campus that allows students convenience, access to the city and a place that feels welcoming. 

Avyay Sriperumbudur is a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and College of Arts and Sciences and a columnist for The Eagle. 

This article was edited by Alana Parker, Rebeca Samano Arellano and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti.

opinion@theeagleonline.com