Monday, Sept. 30, 2024
mari santos headshot

Opinion: New horizons in the Democratic Party shift the election

The Harris-Walz campaign sparks a newfound drive in politics

The following piece is an opinion and does not reflect the views of The Eagle and its staff. All opinions are edited for grammar, style and argument structure and fact-checked, but the opinions are the writer’s own.

In the aftermath of the Democratic National Convention, the elephant in the room was not the threat of Republicans but the drastic change in tone regarding the upcoming election. A youthful twist on politics seemed to have swept the stage of the DNC, with the audience being treated to spinoffs of Lil Jon’s “Turn Down For What” and other lively, modern music for the roll call of states. This change in demeanor represents a new, optimistic trend the country has been feeling since President Joe Biden’s withdrawal from the 2024 presidential race in late July. From coconut trees to the “bratification” of various notable democrats, the future of the Democratic Party looks bright with the help of youthfulness and embracing trends.  

The Democratic Party is known for its more youthful base than the Republican Party, yet issues regarding morale and engagement are still one of the party’s biggest weaknesses. Prior to July 21, fierce divide over Biden’s place as the democratic nominee began to fracture both the public and Congress, due to the president’s shaky performance in the first presidential debate. Rep. Mike Levin of California was one of many House Democrats calling for Biden to step down, saying, “I believe the time has come for President Biden to pass the torch.” With falling polls and his own party circling in on him, Biden officially announced his withdrawal on July 21, endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris in the process. The president’s withdrawal has since boosted the Democratic Party’s morale by handing the nomination to a more “in touch” candidate. 

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I saw the news of Biden’s withdrawal from the presidential race. First, I remember being extremely shocked that he actually dropped out. My nerves then kicked in upon realizing that we were now entering yet another unprecedented political event. Despite my shock and anxiety, the emotion I most vividly remember is my relief. With a more youthful ticket, Democrats potentially gained a much stronger chance of winning the November election. Younger and more lively candidates have since gathered more generalized attention to the Democratic front, especially among Generation Z voters. 

In March, 55 percent of Democrats said they were more enthusiastic than usual about voting in the election. After Harris’ nomination, the number of Democrats who claimed to be more enthusiastic than usual about voting rose by 23 percent. After Biden announced his withdrawal and endorsed Harris, the Harris campaign raised more than $81 million within the first 24 hours. Such enthusiasm is desperately needed for the party that wishes to win the election, as polls show both candidates still neck-and-neck in key battleground states. 

Calls for more youthful representation in politics reflect a dissatisfaction with older leadership and out of touch priorities. As key topics such as abortion, climate change and gun control further polarize Democrats and Republicans, voters must remain engaged with their party’s stances. While figures like Biden represent experience and stability, younger leaders offer fresh perspectives and a willingness to challenge the status quo. This shift has the potential to bring about more radical policy changes and innovations, moving politics from cautious reform to bold transformation, with lasting impacts on future generations.

Keeping in mind the Democratic Party’s youthful turn, we must not forget the stakes of this election. Regardless of the winning side, the outcome will shape policies that impact every facet of our society, from the environment in which we live to the rights we hold. We need the youth of America and its policy interpretations to shape our lives with the times. As citizens, we have a duty to vote for the leader of the most powerful country in the world, and this should not be taken lightly. 

Mari Santos is a junior in the School of Public Affairs and a columnist for The Eagle. 

This piece was edited by Alana Parker, Rebeca Samano Arellano and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks and Charlie Mennuti. 

opinion@theeagleonline.com