Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024
Ritika Shroff headshot

Opinion: The stress over internship season may be worth it

The silver lining in the initial overwhelming amount of school stress during the summer

The following piece is an opinion and does not reflect the views of The Eagle and its staff. All opinions are edited for grammar, style and argument structure and fact-checked, but the opinions are the writer’s own.

How many of us can relate to accepting one internship only to find ourselves already starting the search for the next one? As an incoming sophomore, this summer was my first time getting involved in the D.C. hustle and bustle of fall internships after hearing of its intensity from upperclassmen. The shared experience of constantly checking job portals on LinkedIn and stalking company websites built up a lot of stress that many of us can relate to at American University; however, this opportunity to have various internships within our four years shows the uniqueness of AU. 

As I conversed with my D.C. friends this summer, I found that we all shared a common struggle. Despite being home, the thought of fall internships kept our spheres of thought in D.C.  Reflecting on the end of the year, we noticed that internships never seem to leave our minds. In the spring, the comparison of summer internships had finished, and by the time we hit the last week of school in May, students were already discussing internships for the fall. The culture at American University demands an internship, but at what cost to our summer? 

Examining our collective stress and its impacts, I questioned whether D.C. culture stifles undergraduate summers. Because after all, summer had started and I was already worried about the fall. 

I am from Iowa, and many of my close friends attend the University of Iowa or Iowa State University. The University of Iowa’s Tippe Business School has an impressive 81 percent of students at the business school who complete an internship during their undergrad. However, the way we address internships could not be more different.

I told my friend saying that I felt slightly behind since I did not have an internship during my freshman year, and they scoffed, exclaiming, “Internships are for junior year or potentially summer if you’re free.” That took me aback, forcing me to internalize how AU’s expectations were a mere anomaly when it came to my friends at home. 

I tried to rationalize this extreme cultural difference. The obvious explanations came to mind: I thought the location of these schools could hinder internship abilities. But ultimately, the conclusion I came to is that the difference in culture goes back to how our schedules are created. 

At AU, we have the privilege of creating built-in off days that provide us access to virtual or in-person internships. For example, one of my friends last semester selected all of her classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, allowing her to have her Wednesdays free for a virtual internship. I am following a similar schedule that allows me to have two and a half days free for an internship this upcoming semester. 

One of my Iowa State friends was amazed that I was able to create such freedom within my schedule as a sophomore. My friends had a lot of classes to take, with not a lot of availability, depriving her of a freedom she may not get until late junior or early senior year. 

My initial annoyance at the school’s constant pressures for internships became a breath of fresh air. AU allows us to peek into the windows of our future occupation and see if we like it before it is too late. I also have come to admire the way we discuss the variety of internships at AU. It allows us to get unparalleled experience, which gives us a leg up in competitive fields. With a location like D.C. for a school that specializes in politics and international relations, it makes a world of difference. 

Ritika Shroff is a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and a columnist for The Eagle. 

This article was edited by Alana Parker,, Rebeca Samano Arellano and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks,

opinion@theeagleonline.com