Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024
dune 2 poster

Sequels and remakes to watch in 2024

With so many, which ones are worth watching?

It feels like most movies are either sequels or remakes of already successful films. While producers are confident this is something audiences will love, moviegoers are often nervous about whether the adaptation or continuation will live up to their expectations. 

Sequels usually struggle to live up to the original film, but once in a while, you get a movie that lives up to its predecessor. While it’s tough to find such movies now, there are a few worth mentioning:

Inside Out 2” (2024) directed by Kelsey Mann
After a long stretch of just-okay movies, Pixar recaptures the magic of the first “Inside Out” in its sequel. The makers build on the events in the first film, and make you care more about Riley. (Kensington Tallman)

The new characters have more to contribute and Anxiety (Maya Hawke) is a great contrast to Joy (Amy Poehler) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). 

While this is a family film, Pixar has shown that they can touch on mature themes and still have the general message of the film, which is that not a single emotion is the answer to your problems, to resonate with viewers. All of the emotions, in tandem, allow you to get where you need to go, which Anxiety demonstrates satisfyingly.

“Inside Out 2” is available to rent on Amazon Prime.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2” (2022) directed by Jeff Fowler
“Sonic the Hedgehog 2” does everything the first film does, and better. Adding Tails (Colleen O’Shaughnessey), and especially Knuckles (Idris Elba), makes this film such a blast seeing them all interact. 

Watching Sonic (Ben Schwartz) goof around with Tails and butt-heads with Knuckles is something that makes viewers excited to see them all on-screen this time around. Robotnick’s (Jim Carrey) return when he takes center stage as the main villain drives viewers into the plot. 

The film keeps audiences locked in with the impending threat of Knuckles and makes viewers laugh at all the goofy moments that Sonic has to offer.

“Sonic the Hedgehog 2” is available to stream on Hulu.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One” (2023) directed by Christopher McQuarrie

The latest entry into the “Mission Impossible” franchise presents the series at its strongest. Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt is at the top of his game here and shows how awesome Mission: Impossible can be in the modern age.

The film moves from each action sequence impressively, with many twists and turns along the way. The balance between high-octane action with emotionally captivating scenes makes the movie shine.

“Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One” is available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Dune” (2021) directed by Denis Villeneuve
One of the standout things about both entries “Dune” is the way it builds the setting. The filmmakers create a vast and dense world as viewers learn about the different factions and the treasured spice they all seek. 

Unlike the 1984 film, the film takes its time to ensure the story is fleshed out and not jam-packed. Splitting the first book into two long movies corrects what most people didn’t like about the original film. With this extra time, we grow to better understand the motivations of each character. The two parts balance each other out with the first movie having the necessary setup to make the payoff in the second movie work as well as it does. 

The most impressive part about “Dune” is the cinematography. The intensity of scenes like those with the sandworms show the pure terror of encountering them. The most revolutionary sci-fi story is adapted to the big screen in a way that the viewer will not be disappointed with.

“Dune” is available to stream on Max.

These four movies live up to the expectations that movies prior have set, creating entertaining experiences that honor the originals and continue their legacy. As more remakes and sequels come out, let’s hope that they uphold the same quality that these movies have been able to deliver. 

This article has been edited by Alfie Pritchard, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing by Luna Jinks,Charlie Mennuti and Ariana Kavoossi.

movies@theeagleonline.com