Friday, Oct. 18, 2024
mari santos headshot

Advice: Embracing the unknown

Deciding whether to study abroad doesn’t have to be a rollercoaster

The following piece is an opinion and does not reflect the views of The Eagle and its staff. All opinions are edited for grammar, style and argument structure and fact-checked, but the opinions are the writer’s own.

Studying abroad can seem like a daunting choice, especially for those who have never been outside the United States or are still in the early stages of their college experience. If you're someone who’s been wrestling with the idea — whether you’re a freshman, sophomore or simply unsure — there’s no denying that leaving the comfort of home can feel overwhelming. I myself didn’t seriously consider studying abroad until a persistent friend asked me a simple but powerful question: “Why not?”

I’ve heard this question a million times from other friends and my parents, but this time, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Last year, I had the idea of studying abroad and even opened an application. But, when the time came to submit it, I pulled back. I now see that my reasons were more rooted in fear rather than in reality. The thoughts of navigating a whole new culture and system far from my familiar surroundings were terrifying. What if I didn’t fit in and make friends? What if I missed home too much? What if I couldn’t handle the differences? I was scared to crash and burn with no safety net. 

Once I dug deeper, I came to an important realization: study abroad offers meaningful, once in a lifetime opportunities. And yes, fear can be a driving force in hesitation, but so can forms of burnout that you may not even recognize. In D.C., the grind of academic life, the pressures of studying and the constant push to "achieve" can leave you feeling depleted. Taking a break from the U.S. may provide a needed break. Imagine stepping away from the everyday grind, escaping from the bubble of American culture and gaining some fresh perspective from a completely different place.

Studying abroad isn’t just about “finding myself” (as cliché as that sounds); it is about understanding how other societies work and how we, as students, can bring that insight back to create positive change. It also provides a new, refreshing perspective on one’s studies. I find that being in the same location for two and a half years allows for a lack of engagement and excitement in one’s major. 

I can admit that it is easy to be burnt out of American politics when you’re at its epicenter. For once, I’m looking forward to seeing how American politics operates, this time from an outside perspective in Glasgow, Scotland. I hope that being an exchange student in a different form of government and learning about different methods of Political governing will refresh my interests and remind me why I chose to study political science in the first place. 

The idea of studying abroad is less of a scary leap into the unknown and more of a chance to reset, fix burnout and reconnect with curiosity. If you’re still on the fence about studying abroad, ask yourself the same question my friend asked me: truly, why not? You might find your reasons for staying home aren’t as strong as you thought. Sometimes, stepping into the unknown is the best way to learn — not just about the world, but also about your own life.

Mari Santos is a junior in the School of Public Affairs and a columnist for The Eagle. 

This piece was edited by Alana Parker, Rebeca Samano Arellano and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Nicole Kariuki and Ella Rousseau. 

opinion@theeagleonline.com