Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024
rosh hashanah apple fest pic

Apple Fest invites all students to celebrate the beginning of Rosh Hashanah

AU Hillel, AU Kitchen host event on the quad

American University Hillel and the AU Kitchen hosted Apple Fest on the quad on Sept. 26 to celebrate the beginning of Rosh Hashanah. 

All students were invited to attend and participate in the celebrations. Tables stationed by student volunteers and Hillel employees offered students various apple and honey treats, crafts and games to commemorate the sweetness of the coming new year. 

Rosh Hashanah is a holy day that celebrates the beginning of the Jewish New Year. This year, Rosh Hashanah began on Oct. 2 and ended on Oct. 4. During this time, people are encouraged to reflect on the past year and set positive intentions for the upcoming year. 

Zack Loomis, a sophomore in the School of Education and the College of Arts and Sciences, described Rosh Hashanah as a time for everyone to gather together and enjoy themselves. Loomis also said the University’s chapter of Hillel was welcoming to all who wanted to participate, “regardless of who they are or what they identify as.” 

“We’re here, and we’re here as a resource and as support,” Loomis said. 

Ariel Plevan, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, said it was important for students to facilitate a space to celebrate the holiday. 

“Students can take the time out of their day to actually go about doing that and don’t have to worry about how it might be stressful,” Plevan said. “They can also do it within the feel of the campus; they don’t have to worry about having a separate space to do that.” 

Loomis said it was essential for students to see the celebration in light of events occurring in “the Jewish world and the Israeli world.” 

“It’s really important that we’re here and we’re visible so that people know that we’re here and we’re not hiding away, in a sense,” Loomis said. 

Noam Shukrun, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said it is crucial to involve all students in the festivities. 

“A lot of my non-Jewish friends showed up, a lot of non-Jewish people I know around campus were showing up, it’s really an event for everybody just to learn more about the Jewish holidays,” Shukrun said. 

Jonah Tinkelman, a freshman in SPA, said he stopped by the event on his way to the Writing Center, highlighting how hosting events on the quad can make them more accessible to students. 

“I think kind of people getting immersed in new cultures, different opinions is always great,” Tinkelman said. “Also, I know for a bunch of Jewish students, including myself, sometimes we'll get an email saying this is happening but then we'll forget about it, so having it on the quad is a nice reminder that it’s happening.” 

This article was edited by Payton Anderson, Maya Cederlund, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Sabine Kanter-Hunting and Ella Rousseau.

campuslife@theeagleonline.com