Monday, Oct. 14, 2024
flag burning pic

Palestinian flag found burned on East Campus

SJP condemns University for ‘allowing hatred to fester’ on AU’s campus

A Palestinian flag was found burned on American University’s East Campus on Friday afternoon following a week of vigils and protests remembering the Oct. 7 attacks and commemorating the one year anniversary of the Israel-Hamas war. 

The flag was found charred by flames in the dirt along Nebraska Avenue Northwest at around 3:30 p.m. on Friday, according to an Instagram post from AU’s Students for Justice in Palestine chapter. No details have been released as to who is responsible for the flag burning and the University stated it occurred off of AU property. 

“The university has allowed this hatred to fester on campus, from refusing to support AU community members who have been targeted, to repeatedly following Zionist donors demands and shutting down SJP events,” SJP said in the post on Saturday. “This is a threat to the safety of all marginalized and oppressed people on campus, specifically targeting Palestinians.”  

The post has received over 3,000 likes, and students have flooded to the comments, many of them expressing dissatisfaction at the University’s lack of public response to the incident. 

“AU rejects divisive acts like this, which cause pain for members of our community. We are focused on bringing our community together in unity, support for one another, and learning,” Vice President and Chief Communications Officer Matt Bennett said in a statement to The Eagle. “Campus support services are available to all community members who may be affected by this event.”

Earlier in the week, the University condemned graffiti sprayed on Glover Gate and around the entrance to AU. The words “Genocide,” “Free Palestine” and “Divest Now” were written in red paint across the gate and the nearby sidewalk.

University President Jonathan Alger released a statement calling the graffiti a “disgraceful act” and encouraged students to bridge ideological gaps and create a more inclusive AU. 

Both incidents came during the week of Oct. 7, as students contended with one year of the Israel-Hamas war. SJP called this past week the “Week of Rage” and held protests and vigils for Palestinians killed in the conflict. Students Supporting Israel held a vigil for the victims of the Oct. 7 Hamas attack and AU Hillel sponsored a “Reflections and Connections Series” for students. 

Students also voted this past week to pass two AU Student Government sponsored resolution’s calling on the University to divest from corporations and programs that support the state of Israel. 

SJP and other student groups have continued calling for divestment and in general more attention from the administration to Islamophobia and hatred toward Palestinians on campus. SJP has demanded the University launch an additional investigation into the burning of the Palestinian flag.  

“We remain resolute in our mission to demand divestment from the Zionist regime, enforce an arms embargo, end the genocide, and achieve complete and total liberation,” SJP said in a statement to the Eagle. “No amount of hate and intimidation will ever deter us off of our path.”

This article was edited by Maya Cederlund, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks. 

campuslife@theeagleonline.com