Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024
overture pic

Review: ‘Overture’ tradition remains strong with the class of 2028

DPA presented new talent at the Katzen Studio Theater

Thirteen musical theater students in the class of 2028 made their American University performing arts debut in “Overture” in three sold-out performances on Sept. 27 and 28.  

The timeline of casting and rehearsals for the University’s productions often occurs during the spring semester of the preceding academic year, which means freshmen cannot perform in most fall semester DPA productions. However, “Overture,” which was introduced 15 years ago, allows the incoming class the opportunity to jump right into performance in the fall once they arrive on campus. 

The dimly lit Katzen Studio Theater created an intimate environment that connected the audience to each fearlessly unapologetic performer. Performances this year confronted the audience through direct eye contact, personal monologues and singing in the risers.

Daniel Abraham, director of the Department of Performing Arts, attributed the cast’s unique bond to the vulnerability they share. Their time together has been, “intimate and charged,” Abraham said in an opening statement before the performances. 

“In just a few weeks, the cast bonds, and new families arrive on campus [to see it],” Abraham said.  

The pairing of shuffling and a beautiful piano arrangement by Musical Director Matthew Dohm acted as a prelude to Dave Malloy’s “The Forest.” In a formation meant to resemble a metro car, the cast travels to its first destination: “Transition.” 

In pairs, the same lines were interpreted in three unique scenarios, with each couple passing along an imaginary object that ultimately brought the two closer together and invited them to discuss the feelings they experienced. This format was repeated throughout the performance to give each cast member a chance to let their acting abilities shine.  

The cast’s palpably relatable lines, such as “It’s definitely not home” and “I’m loving it here at American" illustrated varying reactions to the transition into college as a new student. As each individual joined the rest of the cast, they came back together through choreographed stomping and clapping.  

The striking line, “If you don't know the kind of person I am and I don't know the kind of person you are, a pattern that others made may prevail in the world” followed a victory lap that ended in a sudden halt. 

The profound performance of William Stafford’s “A Ritual to Read” by five cast members solidified the significance of the scenes.

However, this jubilance did not last. A sudden shift in energy within the cast was accompanied by a racing piano arrangement and the lyrics “Now the woods are dark and cold, Clogged with nettles and roots, There is a monster, And I am a monster” from Dave Malloy’s “The Forest”  signaled the next section of the show: “Lividness.” 

The tension between each performer and the objects on stage shocked the audience into a new, chilling silence.  

As a tower of stacked chairs the actors built during “Lividness” came tumbling down, so did their animosity. 

After a cover of Linda Perry’s “What’s Up,” the cast came together with a smile for a recreation of the song with only clapping and stomping. 

Following this, a performance of Amanda Gorman’s poem “Closure” referenced themes of new beginnings and resilience.

With the original songs “My Own Way” and “Now. Here. This” by Jeff Bowen, the cast ended the performance with a hopeful outlook, reminding the audience of the community “Overture” provides for students entering the program for their first year. 

This article was edited by Jessica Ackerman, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Emma Brown and Ariana Kavoossi. 

arts@theeagleonline.com