Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024
farmers market pic

Roundup: Farmers markets to visit in D.C. this fall

Find great food and community at these must-see markets

If you are looking for fresh produce or even handmade arts and crafts, consider adventuring to a local farmers market. D.C. offers a host of local farmers markets in neighborhoods across the city this fall season.

American University Farmers Market

Craving homemade baked goods after class on Wednesday? The AU Farmers Market features a baked goods stand and is accessible on the quad every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

This farmers market offers new and fresh food options for students and support for local businesses without even stepping foot off campus. Students can choose from a variety of local vendors, including RavenHook Bakehouse, Airlie Farm, Blum Tea, Dupont Flowers and Oksana’s Produce Farm.

Eastern Market

In a neighborhood full of valuable history, the Eastern Market is a landmark in itself. Torn down by a fire in the early 2000s, it is one of the only public market buildings left in D.C. 

The year-round market has an array of indoor and outdoor vendors selling items from fresh flowers to antiques. The market has operated since 1873 and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. each week. 

Merchants serve products including fresh produce from farms in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. 

Freshfarm Dupont Circle Market

Freshfarm is a D.C.-based nonprofit that strives to create solutions in the food system through farmer's markets. The Dupont Circle market, among their 25 other markets across Virginia and Maryland, works to create food access for local communities. The program does this through their markets, food distribution and student food nutrition programs. 

The Dupont Circle market is home to more than 50 producers and farmers in its peak season. This Freshfarm market welcomes all furry four-legged visitors as well. 

From fresh pasta to pickles, the market advertises its surplus of organic fruits and vegetables and features gluten-free baked goods and pastries. The market is open Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. 

Union Market

Originating in one of D.C.’s growing neighborhoods, Union Market has seen many changes since its establishment in 1931. The market district continually welcomes new businesses, most recently in 2019 with the large latin market La Cosecha. 

The market calls itself a “foodie’s heaven” bustling with over 40 local vendors

Union Market vendors include Spot of Tea, AboveGround, Bee J’s Cookies and other small business pop-ups.

Its outdoor seating area simplifies the issue of finding where to eat your treats and the space holds events every week such as trivia and storytimes with the D.C. public library. 

The market is open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The fall season is a great time to venture out of your dorm and explore everything D.C. has to offer. Trek to one of these local farmers markets and stock up for the colder months. 

This article was edited by Maria Tedesco, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Ariana Kavoossi and Emma Brown.

style@theeagleonline.com