Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024

‘¡Si, se puede!’: American University janitors successfully negotiate for new contract

AU Young Democratic Socialists of America held week of support for custodial staff

American University janitors union SEIU 32BJ won a contract with increased wages and employer contributions to their health care and 401(k), following a week of supportive programming from the AU chapter of the Young Democratic Socialists of America.

A press release on Sept. 27 said the new contract includes “historic wage increases,” noting an overall $6 hourly wage increase over the next five years for over 120 workers. For the lowest-paid workers, this means upwards of a 30 percent increase in pay.

Events began on Sept. 25 with a march from Bender Library to the parking garage under Centennial Hall, where janitorial and SEIU representatives dropped off a petition signed by janitors at an office on campus.  

Around 100 students, janitors, union representatives and other AU staff participated in the march. Francisco Romero, a representative from SEIU 32BJ, instructed the crowd through a megaphone, speaking in both English and Spanish. He announced that if negotiations weren’t successful, janitors would vote to strike on Friday, Sept. 27.  

“Aramark, escucha. Estamos en el lucha,” the crowd chanted, which translates to “Aramark, listen. We are in the fight.”

On Sept. 26, contract negotiations occurred off campus between the janitors’ union and Aramark, the hospitality company AU outsources their custodial labor from, while YDSA worked to keep student attention on the cause. In the afternoon, they tabled in Mary Graydon Center, and at night, they hosted an “Art build to support worker’s rights” in The Bridge Cafe. 

Suzanne Fils-Aime, a study abroad advisor for the School of International Service and the elected union representative for SIS and the School of Public Affairs in AU’s staff union, attended the march on Wednesday to support her colleagues. 

“I think it's important that we advocate on behalf of our colleagues, many of whom are the lowest-paid workers of this institution,” Fils-Aime said. “They keep this institution beautiful and clean and safe and running.” 

Fils-Aime hoped workers would get the respect they deserved to avoid a strike, adding, “it seems like they’re very ready to do that if the institution won't come to the table with something that is respectful tomorrow for bargaining.”

The next morning, YDSA announced via Instagram story that negotiations had been successful.   

Two custodial workers spoke during the rally about what the new contract meant to them, with translations from Romero. 

Martha Pradencio from Silver Spring, Maryland, has worked at the University for four years. She said it was worrisome for workers that necessities like gas and rent continued to rise without compensatory wage increases. Pradencio feels more confident with the new contract but said there’s still more to be done.

Jose Orellan, a janitor working overnight shifts at AU since 1994, echoed this sentiment. He said the workers hope for even more in terms of pay and benefits in the future. Orellan added that he was happily surprised by student support. 

On Sept. 27, over 50 students, union representatives and custodial staff gathered around 3:30 p.m. outside Bender Library for a celebratory rally following the successful ratification of the new contract. The celebration began with hugs between students and janitors, followed by various chants and speeches in English and Spanish.

Romero said how important this moment is for workers who have faced stagnant wages despite inflation in past years. Romero also spoke to the power of students and workers standing in solidarity with each other. 

After his speech, Romero brought out students in YDSA to thank them for their efforts. 

“When we stand together, there is nothing we cannot do,” said Rohin Ghosh, co-president of YDSA and a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“Even with the rain, even with midterms coming up, people turn out, people take action, they show up to meetings and they show up to take action like this,” Ghosh said. “The student body will rise up … and we will win.”

Owen Camferdam, co-president of YDSA and junior in CAS, reflected on recent student turnout in support of the custodial staff. 

“All we have to do is get the word out and then once people know the situation, I feel there’s a compulsion to act,” Camferdam said. 

After the event, Julie Karant, the regional communications manager for the workers’ union, noted her surprise at the student turnout as well. She credited student mobilization as an important factor in the successful contract.

“Almost 18 years of work and I’ve never seen this big a crowd of students,” Karant said. “I think that was pretty integral to them getting a good deal. That’s what it means. You say worker power, it also means supporter power — students.”

This article was edited by Payton Anderson, Maya Cederlund, Tyler Davis and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Charlie Mennuti and Ella Rousseau. 

campuslife@theeagleonline.com