Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024
bow or no pic

Trendy or Timeless? Bow or No?

How to incorporate this archaic trend into modern fashion

As children, we wore bows. These bows were big and small. 

It seems as if there was a bow for every outfit, glued to sweet pigtails. Bows were a sign of childlike cuteness, but now they are back in our adulthood.

If you have TikTok, you’ve heard of the “coquette” trend. The word is of French origin, and was used in the early 17th century to describe a girl with looks and charm. More often than not, these ladies attracted male attention with their beauty and style. The coquette aesthetic is something similar, including all things pink and feminine. The focal point of this style trend though, is bows. 

The online joke is that putting a pink ribbon bow on anything, whether it be an iPhone or a burrito from Qdoba, makes it coquette. Aside from the silliness of the trend, people have been incorporating bows back into their outfits as if no time has passed. 

Here are some ways to incorporate a bow into your outfit.

For an updo

One of the most popular ways to style a bow is to put it in your hair. The half-up half-down with a bow is a chic way to add a bit of flair to your hair. You can purchase ribbons from virtually anywhere, but some companies now make bows with clips for easier styling. 

In the outfit

Brands are quick to jump on the latest trends, so pieces with bows are everywhere especially dresses. For some, the sleeves of a slip dress are ribbons to tie. For others, intricate pieces of fabric are woven together at the waist to resemble the shape of a bow, with the tails trailing down. 

These dresses are elegant statement pieces, and have been especially popular for formals, weddings or prom.

On your kicks

For a sweet touch, lots of people are adding ribbons and bows to their shoes. The bows are seen most on Doc Martens and Ugg shoes, where the ribbon is tied through the logo slip that is threaded just above the heel. People have used all types of ribbon, ranging from white and lacey to dainty and blue. Post-bow, the shoes are now “coquette!”

It’s crazy to think that something worn so often as a kid has come back as a popular fashion trend. Although they may seem childish, bows can be worn elegantly and add an air of cuteness and youth to an outfit, making them timeless. 

The real question is, to bow or not to bow? We will let you decide. Take a peek at the vision board for some inspiration on how to add a bow to your outfit of the day!

This article was edited by Maria Tedesco, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing by Luna Jinks, Ariana Kavoossi and Charlie Mennuti. 

style@theeagleonline.com