Friday, Oct. 4, 2024
weekend watchlist: fall movies

Weekend Watchlist: Five films for a mystical cinematic journey

A collection of films that will transport you to fantastical realms

With Halloween right around the corner, it’s an ideal time to watch films of mystery and magic that capture the essence of the autumn season. 

Here is a list of five must-see films perfect for cozying up alone or gathering with friends for a movie night. 

The Craft” (1996)

Tackling teenage angst, witchcraft and the dark side of power, “The Craft” has everything you could want from a fantasy supernatural drama. 

The film follows a group of outsider high school girls — Nancy, Bonnie and Rochelle (played by Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell and Rachel True) — as they bring a final member into their group, Sarah (Robin Tunney), to complete a witchcraft ritual. 

As the girls explore witchcraft, their quest for power brings dangerous consequences, revealing the dark allure and risks of their supernatural abilities. 

With its dark grunge soundtrack that captures the film’s eerie atmosphere, “The Craft” immerses you in its dark fantasy world, keeping you hooked from start to finish.

“The Craft” is available to stream on Max. 

Donnie Darko” (2001)

From its spooky October setting to its mind-bending narrative, “Donnie Darko” is a captivating watch perfect for fall and Halloween. 

The film follows Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal), a troubled teen who starts having strange visions of a man in a rabbit suit after a plane engine crashes into his bedroom. As Donnie tries to make sense of these visions, he is taken on a surreal journey, caught in a complex story of time travel and fate. 

Featuring a soundtrack of haunting 80s classics from bands like Tears for Fears and Joy Division, the music excellently complements the film's dreamlike vibe. If you’re up for a mind-bending ride and don’t mind getting disoriented, “Donnie Darko” won’t disappoint.

“Donnie Darko” is available to stream for free on Tubi TV. 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” (2004)

We all grew up watching it but still can’t get enough of it. 

While all eight movies are must-sees, “Prisoner of Azkaban” is notably more intense than the first two movies in the franchise. With new director Alfonso Cuaron, the film perfectly evokes the dark aura of Halloween. Cuaron’s stylistic choices arguably align closely with the book’s darker themes. 

The film follows Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) as he returns to Hogwarts for his third year, only to discover a dangerous prisoner named Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) has escaped and is coming after him. 

With various twists and turns, “Prisoner of Azkaban” takes you for a dark and magical ride. Invite your friends over and buckle up for an adventure in the Harry Potter universe, because let’s face it, you’re still waiting for that Hogwarts letter. 

“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” is available to stream on Max. 

Twilight” (2008)

A film that was ahead of its time.

Despite receiving negative reviews from critics at the time, “Twilight” has become a cult classic, redefining the vampire genre for a new era. The film follows Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) after she moves to the eerie town of Forks, Washington, where she meets Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) and gets drawn into a world full of mystery and secrets. 

With its iconic memes, there is no denying that “Twilight” has left a significant mark on popular culture. It is the ultimate fall movie with vampires that bring Halloween to life.

“Twilight” is available to rent or buy on Amazon Prime.

Fantastic Mr. Fox” (2009)

With its warm hues of yellow and orange, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” perfectly embodies the spirit of fall.

A blend of whimsy and deep reflection, this stop-motion animation from Wes Anderson creates a fantastical realm that is a joy to get lost in. It follows the clever Mr. Fox (George Clooney), who plans elaborate heists to steal food from farmers despite promising his wife, Felicity (Meryl Streep), to give up theft and find a conventional job. His schemes lead to adventures and trouble for both him and the other animals. 

The journey is fun and adventurous, and you will surely enjoy every second. If you’re looking for a lightweight, cozy film, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” is exactly what you need.

“Fantastic Mr. Fox” is available to stream on Disney+. 

Grab your coziest blanket and some popcorn and dive into these films for the ultimate escape into fantastical realms – just in time for fall. 

This article has been edited by Alfie Pritchard, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing by Luna Jinks and Ariana Kavoossi.

movies@theeagleonline.com