Friday, Oct. 25, 2024
childhood films pic

Weekend Watchlist: Five nostalgic movies to relive your childhood

A collection of childhood favorites to rewatch or experience for the first time

It’s easy to get nostalgic for the simplicity of childhood. To recapture some of that magic, consider these five movies to relive your favorite childhood moments and let the nostalgia take over.

Matilda” (1996)

Directed by Danny DeVito, “Matilda” brings Roald Dahl’s beloved book to life with a perfect mix of whimsy and heart. The film captures the magic of childhood imagination and the challenges of growing up in an unfair world. 

“Matilda” follows the childhood of a neglected girl whose only aspiration is to learn. As she discovers her hidden telekinetic abilities, Matilda (Mara Wilson) takes matters into her own hands, standing up against the resentful headmistress, Miss Trunchbull (Pam Ferris), to protect her classmates and beloved teacher, Miss Honey (Embeth Davidtz).

“Matilda” reminds us that all children deserve a place in this world and offers a warm embrace of nostalgia and empowerment. 

“Matilda” is available to stream on Netflix.

Spy Kids” (2001)

Join siblings Carmen (Alexa PenaVega) and Juni Cortez (Daryl Sabara) on this action-packed adventure in a world at the center of imagination and espionage. 

Carmen and Juni’s seemingly ordinary lives take a thrilling turn when they discover their parents are secret agents. The kids step up to save the day when their mom and dad are captured by a villainous mastermind (Tony Shalhoub). 

With clever wit and unexpected twists, they embark on a mission that teaches them the true meaning of teamwork and bravery. 

A unique blend of humor, heart and high-tech gadgetry, “Spy Kids” has become a family favorite that stands the test of time. 

Spy Kids” is available to stream on Netflix. 

Ramona and Beezus” (2010)

“Ramona and Beezus” captures the spirit of childhood with its heartfelt charm and delightful mischief. Based on the book series by Beverly Cleary, this film beautifully showcases the bond between two sisters as they navigate the ups and downs of growing up. 

Starring Joey King and Selena Gomez, the story follows the imaginative Ramona Quimby and her older sister Beezus –– who often finds herself trying to tame Ramona’s wild ideas. When their family faces unexpected financial challenges, the sisters learn to rely on each other, embracing their differences and celebrating their unique strengths. 

Filled with whimsical antics and touching moments, the film highlights the importance of family, friendship and perseverance. A joyful reminder that life’s adventures are best faced together, “Ramona and Beezus” will warm your heart and spark your imagination.

“Ramona and Beezus” is available to stream on Disney+. 

James and the Giant Peach” (1996)

With its quirky characters and imaginative world, Henry Selick’s “James and the Giant Peach” offers a surreal escape that only improves with time. 

“James and the Giant Peach” is a charming blend of stop-motion and live-action that transports viewers into Roald Dahl’s fanciful universe. 

The film captures the loneliness of childhood and a spark of adventure as it follows James (Paul Terry), a lonely boy trapped under the control of his cruel aunts. His life takes a magical turn when he stumbles upon a giant enchanted peach –– and soon finds himself sailing across the ocean inside it, accompanied by a crew of charming insects. 

At its core, “James and the Giant Peach” is about finding courage, belonging and the family we choose. The film reminds us that adventure can sprout from the most unexpected places and that even the smallest can overcome towering obstacles. 

“James and the Giant Peach” is available to stream on Disney+.

The Parent Trap” (1998)

Few films capture childhood mischief and heartwarming family moments quite like “The Parent Trap.” Nancy Meyers’ beloved remake of the 1961 classic continues to charm audiences with its humor, adventure and a little bit of sibling rivalry. 

The story follows Hallie Parker and Annie James (Lindsay Lohan), identical twins separated at birth and raised on opposite sides of the world –– one in California and the other in London. 

When the girls meet by chance at summer camp, they create an elaborate scheme to switch places and reunite with their estranged parents. Along the way, they bond over pranks, misunderstandings and heartfelt moments that remind us of the power of family.  

“The Parent Trap” is a reminder that no matter how complicated relationships get, love and a little trickery can bring people together. This film’s blend of comedy and heart is the perfect weekend escape. 

“The Parent Trap” is available to stream on Disney+.

Gather your loved ones and some snacks, and embark on a nostalgic journey that will whisk you back to the carefree days of childhood. 

This article was edited by Alfie Pritchard, Marina Zaczkiewicz and Abigail Turner. Copy editing done by Luna Jinks, Sydney Kornmeyer and Charlie Mennuti.

movies@theeagleonline.com